Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com> on 2011/03/19 07:28:39 UTC

Another Spamassassin upgrade problem

Upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 and getting this error message:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/local/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Term/ReadKey/ReadKey.so:
undefined symbol: Perl_pad_sv

when running sa-compile or spamassassin

--
Marc Perkel - Sales/Support
support@junkemailfilter.com

Re: Another Spamassassin upgrade problem

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 09:30 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:

> Thanks - I figured it out. I'm not sure what but there was some perl
> libs under /usr/local and I deleted those and the problem went away.

That usually implies that you installed Perl some libraries direct from
some third party source which doesn't use RPM. There are very few
standard RPM packages that unpack into the /usr/local tree - the only
Fedora RPM packages I've installed that do that are amanda, firefox,
SynCE, some Palm Pilot stuff, and thunderbird. Adobe's flash plugin also
puts stuff in /usr/local. Everything else in that tree, apart from
Kermit and microEmacs which I downloaded and compiled locally, is stuff
I wrote myself.

I have never found anything in that tree, apart from empty directories,
after a clean RedHat/Fedora install and upgrade. I've been using RedHat
distros from RH 6.2, switching to Fedora Core 1 as soon as it appeared.
In consequence, one of my first (scripted) actions after an install is:

rm -rf /usr/local; ln -s /home/local /usr/local

Martin

Re: Another Spamassassin upgrade problem

Posted by Marc Perkel <su...@junkemailfilter.com>.

Posted by Michelle Konzack <li...@tamay-dogan.net>.
Hello Martin Gregorie,

> Now I just do the clean install. There are ways of making that easier
> and speeding it up:
> - put /home in a separate partition, i.e. use a custom partitioning
>   scheme and keep a record of it in case your disk dies.
> - symlink /usr/local and /user/java to directories in /home
> - keep copies of hand-modified files from /etc someplace in /home
> - write a script that is run after the clean install to:
>   - put the symlinks back
>   - run yum to install packages that aren't part of the standard distro
>   - rebuild the username and group lists
>
> Now installing a new version of Fedora involves:
> - start the clean install by reformatting all partitions except /home
> - after the install finishes, run "yum upgrade" and reboot
> - run the script
> - check, configure and restart your usual service collections

I had update probem too, but now I use on my Servers following:

/dev/sda1       /               Rescue
/dev/sda2       SWAP
/dev/sda3       /tmp

/dev/sda5       /               Production 1
/dev/sda6       /var/log        Production 1

/dev/sda7       /               Production 2
/dev/sda8       /var/log        Production 2

/dev/sda9       /home

So I have now three independant systems and I can update one  production
system and if it does not work I switch back to the other one...

Yes, it requires much more diskspace, but even on my expensive 147/300GB
SCSI drives it is worth and saved me many headaches...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack

itsystems@tdnet France EURL       itsystems@tdnet UG (limited liability)
Owner Michelle Konzack            Owner Michelle Konzack

Apt. 917 (homeoffice)
50, rue de Soultz                 Kinzigstraße 17
67100 Strasbourg/France           77694 Kehl/Germany
Tel: +33-6-61925193 mobil         Tel: +49-177-9351947 mobil
Tel: +33-9-52705884 fix

<http://www.itsystems.tamay-dogan.net/>  <http://www.flexray4linux.org/>
<http://www.debian.tamay-dogan.net/>         <http://www.can4linux.org/>

Jabber linux4michelle@jabber.ccc.de
ICQ    #328449886

Re: Another Spamassassin upgrade problem

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2011-03-19 at 07:36 +0100, Karsten Bräckelmann wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 23:28 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > Upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 and getting this error message:

I've had problems with Fedora version upgrades and no longer do them
because IME they're more trouble than they are worth: in too many cases
they've fallen over part way through and left enough of a mess than I've
had to do a clean install to recover from it.

Now I just do the clean install. There are ways of making that easier
and speeding it up:
- put /home in a separate partition, i.e. use a custom partitioning
  scheme and keep a record of it in case your disk dies.
- symlink /usr/local and /user/java to directories in /home
- keep copies of hand-modified files from /etc someplace in /home
- write a script that is run after the clean install to:
  - put the symlinks back
  - run yum to install packages that aren't part of the standard distro
  - rebuild the username and group lists

Now installing a new version of Fedora involves:
- start the clean install by reformatting all partitions except /home
- after the install finishes, run "yum upgrade" and reboot
- run the script
- check, configure and restart your usual service collections

With the above in place a clean install is relatively painless and
fairly fast: the install and initial "yum upgrade" run is likely to be
faster than the distro upgrade and will take longer than configuring and
firing up your usual service collection.

I know this is off topic for SA, but I thought it was worth describing
since its an approach that should work for any Linux distro and for
similar OSen such as BSD.

Martin

Re: Another Spamassassin upgrade problem

Posted by Karsten Bräckelmann <gu...@rudersport.de>.
On Fri, 2011-03-18 at 23:28 -0700, Marc Perkel wrote:
> Upgraded from Fedora 12 to Fedora 14 and getting this error message:
>
> /usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/x86_64-linux-thread-multi/auto/Term/ReadKey/ReadKey.so:
> undefined symbol: Perl_pad_sv
>
> when running sa-compile or spamassassin

Looks like a distro upgrade / Perl issue to me.