Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Bing Du <bd...@iastate.edu> on 2006/08/25 17:09:08 UTC

[users@httpd] redirect without changing URL?

Hello,

We're running Apache 2.0.52 on RHEL 4.

After moving a site to a new Apache server that has a new file structure,
we did redirect for a customer to keep their old URL working.  The
redirection

http://www.dept.some.edu/somegroup =>
http://www.dept.some.edu/long/path/to/somegroup

works fine.  They can still see their site using the old URL
http://www.dept.some.edu/somegroup.

However the customer came back complaining about the long URL
http://www.dept.some.edu/long/path/to/somegroup.  What they want is show
their site but without changing URL caused by redirection.  I call it
transparent redirect.

Is that even possible?  If yes, how?

I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas or pointers.

Thanks,

Bing

Re: [users@httpd] redirect without changing URL?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 8/25/06, Bing Du <bd...@iastate.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're running Apache 2.0.52 on RHEL 4.
>
> After moving a site to a new Apache server that has a new file structure,
> we did redirect for a customer to keep their old URL working.  The
> redirection
>
> http://www.dept.some.edu/somegroup =>
> http://www.dept.some.edu/long/path/to/somegroup
>
> works fine.  They can still see their site using the old URL
> http://www.dept.some.edu/somegroup.
>
> However the customer came back complaining about the long URL
> http://www.dept.some.edu/long/path/to/somegroup.  What they want is show
> their site but without changing URL caused by redirection.  I call it
> transparent redirect.
>
> Is that even possible?  If yes, how?
>
> I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas or pointers.

Start here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/urlmapping.html

What you want is probably a simple Alias.

But note that it is best not to have two permanent URLs mapping to the
same place.  So you should make one URL or the other be a Redirect.

Joshua.