Posted to torque-user@db.apache.org by Daniel Huang <da...@cisco.com> on 2004/04/09 00:47:37 UTC

using torgue to manage production schema change

Hi,

Currently under torgen-gen 3.1, if you run
ant -f build-torque.xml sql

It will generate sql statements that drop tables and create new ones. This
works great for development work. However, in a production environment, this
is not feasible because it will just drop all data as well.

It will be great if the ant sql target will be able to generate alter table
statements so that it is safe to apply the generated DDL to a production
environment.

Does this sound like a good enhancement idea for future releases?

Thanks
Daniel

Re: using torgue to manage production schema change

Posted by Bogdan Vatkov <bv...@globaltech-bg.com>.
Yes Daniel,
That is right.

regards,
bogdan

Posted by Daniel Huang <da...@cisco.com>.
Hi Thomas,

May I ask how big your project-data.xml is? Mine is 1.6M and datasql target
runs forever. Not really a feasible solution for me.

Besides, production data will keep growing, until some day it will become to
big for datadump target.

Thanks
Daniel

Posted by Thomas Edwin Santosa <ka...@telkom.net>.