Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2009/03/03 16:57:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Websphere / Apache similarities

Hi.

This is posted both to the Apache httpd and Tomcat user lists.

I am taking on a project for which, on the customer side, the installed
HTTP-related software consists of (in the customer's words) "IBM
Websphere 6.1 and the corresponding IBM webserver".

Does anyone on this list have any knowledge of these, in particular
their "compatibility/similarity" with respectively Tomcat v ? and Apache
httpd v ?

My applications make heavy usage, under Apache httpd, of mod_perl 2.x
and several Apache modules like mod_rewrite, mod_setenvif and mod_jk.
The Tomcat side is less critical, as it consists only of a couple of
simple servlets and servlet filters, which should I suppose not create a
major issue.

I have worked a couple of years ago with a Websphere server (don't
recall the version), which at the time seemed to be an almost verbatim
equivalent of Tomcat 4.1, but I don't know what happened since.

Thanks in advance for any information or informative links.
I will Google myself too, but I'm not quite sure at the moment how to
phrase this search.

André

RE: Websphere / Apache similarities

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
Andre-

let me know your thoughts on re-architecting to EJB
JBoss is an all or nothing ..meaning JBoss needs god access to the ports or it wont startup
Sun's App Server called GlassFish is alot more user-friendly with a very intuitive graphical admin interface for installing and configuring components both EJBs and shared-libraries

Martin
Disclaimer and confidentiality note

> [...]
> Subject: Re: Websphere / Apache similarities
>
> Christopher Schultz wrote:
> >
> > André,
> >
> > On 3/3/2009 10:57 AM, André Warnier wrote:
> >> Does anyone on this list have any knowledge of these, in particular
> >> their "compatibility/similarity" with respectively Tomcat v ? and Apache
> >> httpd v ?
> >
> > Tomcat's only real "compatibility" questions are:
> >
> > 1. What servlet/JSP specification are we talking?
> > 2. Need "full" J2EE support (EJB, MQ, etc.)?
> >
> > #1 can be answered here:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Websphere#WebSphere_compatibility_matrix
> >
> > Looks like the equivalent Tomcat version would be 5.5.
> >
> > #2 is also easy: Tomcat does not support that stuff. Chuck's suggestion
> > that JBoss might be a better comparison is a good one. There's also
> > Sun's Glassfish.
> >
> > I'm not sure about Websphere's httpd-like capabilities, but Websphere
> > /is/ Java-based so you'll have all the oddities that you may have heard
> > of when using Perl from Java or having to write filters to do things
> > like mod_rewrite or mod_headers do for you in httpd (urlrewrite, your
> > favorite Java tool, is of course a good option for the former).
> >
> Chris and others, thanks for the above info.
> The following is a quote from Eric Covener on the Apache httpd list. I
> believe he is one of the Apache httpd committers.
>
> quote
>
> WebSphere Application Server is not related to Tomcat, except that
> they implement some of the same standard.
>
> IBM HTTTP Server is  Apache HTTP Server-based with notable difference
> of SSL (runtime and module). Versions 6.x are based on 2.0.x and 7.0
> is based on 2.2

> mod_jk would be replaced by the websphere plugin
> mod_perl you'd have to provide yourself and may take a little effort
> to build against IHS.
>
> unquote
>
> So, it looks like :
>
> - Websphere itself is a Java servlet server, unrelated to Tomcat despite
> my mistaken impressions to the contrary, but implementing the same
> servlet specification as Tomcat.  It seems to have additional
> functionalities compared to Tomcat, but since I do not understand them
> and think I don't need them, it should be ok.
> I basically wanted to know if I could run a couple of servlets on it
> which I run on Tomcat (answer most probably yes), and run also the
> UrlRewriteFilter (also probably yes) and the Jespa NTLM authentication
> filter (maybe yes, I'll ask ioplex).
> Websphere by itself, like Tomcat, can probably serve static content too.
>
> - in addition to Websphere proper (the servlet server), there is also an
> Apache httpd derived IBM HTTP server in that package.  It uses a
> different httpd/servlet server connector than mod_jk
> , and may or may not support mod_perl easily.  Which for me means it
> doesn't, since I probably won't have time to work out the kinks.
>
> That is all valuable information, and I thank everyone.

Windows Live™ Groups: Create an online spot for your favorite groups to meet.
http://windowslive.com/online/groups?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_groups_032009

Re: Websphere / Apache similarities

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
Just to be clear, there are a lot of "should" statements below and other
cases that should use this key word.

JSPs, servlets and filters /should /be portable between servlet engines
supporting the same spec level.  In most cases they are.  There are,
however, bugs and forgiving behaviors specific to each servlet engine.
Thus you may encounter bugs specific to WebSphere or cases where Tomcat
interpreted the specs in a more forgiving manner than WebSphere, which
generally seems to use the most restrictive interpretation of the spec
where anything is subject to interpretation.

--
Jess Holle

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Websphere / Apache similarities

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Websphere / Apache similarities

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Websphere / Apache similarities
>
> Does anyone on this list have any knowledge of these,
> in particular their "compatibility/similarity" with
> respectively Tomcat v ?

WebSphere is a full Java EE container, whereas Tomcat is not; the closer open source approximation would be JBoss, not Tomcat.  WebSphere should be able to handle any servlet-based webapps that do not depend on unique Tomcat capabilities.  Can't say anything about how it handles Perl (but then right-thinking people wouldn't want to know :-).

 - Chuck

Re: [users@httpd] Websphere / Apache similarities

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.

covener@gmail.com