Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com> on 2003/04/15 16:55:01 UTC

apache 2.0.45/tomcat 4.1.24 mod_jk trouble

Hello,

I've been trying to integrate apache and tomcat for a while, and I
cannot seem to make it work.  I'm using the following versions on
Redhat 8:

1.  Apache 2.0.45 compiled from source
2.  Tomcat 4.1.24
3.  mod_jk.so

For Apache:
I've added the mod_jk LoadModule calls to httpd.conf, and included the
auto-conf file tomcat generates.

For Tomcat:
I've also edited server.xml to add listeners for the server and host.
The auto-conf file is generated and looks to be complete.  There are
several sections for creating the Apache Alias directives, etc.  I have
a workers.properties file in /usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk.

Accessing /examples on port 8080 works fine.  I get a 404 "File Not
Found" error when I try to access /examples on port 80.  It appears
that Apache is not properly sourcing the auto-conf file (Include
directive).  If I add a static alias in httpd.conf, I can reference
static pages in /usr/local/tomcat, but servlet execution is not
processed by Tomcat.  The two do not appear to be talking to each other.

I cannot find any indications from the logs for both applications as to
what th eproblem may be.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.

nmap reports:

80/tcp     open        http
8009/tcp   open        ajp13
8080/tcp   open        http-proxy

A portion of my auto-conf file is:

  # Static files
     Alias /examples "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/examples"

     <Directory "/usr/local/tomcat/webapps/examples">
         Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
         DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm index.jsp
     </Directory>

     # Deny direct access to WEB-INF and META-INF
     #
     <Location "/examples/WEB-INF/*">
         AllowOverride None
         deny from all
     </Location>

     <Location "/examples/META-INF/*">
         AllowOverride None
         deny from all
     </Location>

     JkMount /examples/jsp/security/protected/j_security_check  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/snoop  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/servlet/*  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/CompressionTest  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/*.jsp  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/servletToJsp  ajp13
     JkMount /examples/SendMailServlet  ajp13

Re: apache 2.0.45/tomcat 4.1.24 mod_jk trouble

Posted by Steve Harris <sh...@myra.com>.
Hi,

Sorry to chip in this late in the thread but if you running on a Unix box
have your tried tracing the process (Using something like the Solaris
truss command).  Process tracing has got me out of no end of sticky
situations like this.

The trace output will show you exactly the file that is trying to be
opened.

Cheers - Steve

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.

Posted by Oscar Carrillo <to...@daydream.stanford.edu>.
Clay,

I think Justin is probably right. I had a lot of trouble with compiling
mod_jk as well as mod_jk2. In fact, I still only use mod_jk-2.0.42
(mod_jk) binary with my RedHat 7.3 setup.

There are some strange things with compiling mod_jk, such as compiling it
always seemed to give drastically different filesizes compared to the
binaries you can download.

If you're interested my installation setup is explained at:
http://daydream.stanford.edu/tomcat/install_web_services.html
(RH 7.3 Linux + updates/Kernel 2.4.20/jdk1.4.1_01)

I don't know what thread support is like for java in RH8.0 but, do you do
set this environment variable in your tomcat startup script?

export LD_KERNEL_ASSUME="2.2.5"

Oscar

Posted by Justin Spies <js...@pantek.com>.
Clay,

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Oscar Carrillo <to...@daydream.stanford.edu>.
Hi,

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
That's correct.  The Listener in the Host container is what generates the
VirtualHost stuff in mod_jk.conf.  The other one generates the
LoadModule/JkWorkersFile stuff.  So, if you had 3 virtual hosts, you'd have
4 Listeners: 1 Server, and 1 for each Host in server.xml.

It's strange...I am almost thinking that the Apache you are working with

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Dang, looks pretty good to me.

I know you aren't a newbie, but all I can think to ask are newbie
questions, like:

- are you sure this file is included by Apache?

- have you HUP'd Apache with the new JkLogLevel?

- is the output of "apachectl configtest" "OK"?

Anyone else have suggestions?

John

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.
Here you go:

Posted by John Turner <to...@johnturner.com>.
Can you post the mod_jk.conf file for us?  Thanks.

John

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:45:53 -0400, Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com> wrote:

> The mod_jk.log file only gets created when Apache starts up.  I changed
> the value to "info", but I still get a zero byte file.  Apache's startup
> message says:
>
> [Tue Apr 15 11:46:22 2003] [notice] Apache/2.0.45 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.45
> OpenSSL/0.9.6b mod_jk/1.2.2 PHP/4.3.1 configured -- resuming normal
> operations
>

> On Tuesday, April 15, 2003, at 11:05 AM, John Turner wrote:
>

>> If you change JkLogLevel to "info" and try again, can you post the
>> contents of your JK log file?
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 10:55:01 -0400, Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been trying to integrate apache and tomcat for a while, and I
>>> cannot seem to make it work.  I'm using the following versions on
>>> Redhat 8:
>>>
>>> 1.  Apache 2.0.45 compiled from source
>>> 2.  Tomcat 4.1.24
>>> 3.  mod_jk.so
>>>
>>> For Apache:
>>> I've added the mod_jk LoadModule calls to httpd.conf, and included the
>>> auto-conf file tomcat generates.
>>>
>>> For Tomcat:
>>> I've also edited server.xml to add listeners for the server and host.
>>> The auto-conf file is generated and looks to be complete.  There are
>>> several sections for creating the Apache Alias directives, etc.  I have
>>> a workers.properties file in /usr/local/tomcat/conf/jk.
>>>
>>> Accessing /examples on port 8080 works fine.  I get a 404 "File Not
>>> Found" error when I try to access /examples on port 80.  It appears
>>> that Apache is not properly sourcing the auto-conf file (Include
>>> directive).  If I add a static alias in httpd.conf, I can reference
>>> static pages in /usr/local/tomcat, but servlet execution is not
>>> processed by Tomcat.  The two do not appear to be talking to each
>>> other.
>>>
>>> I cannot find any indications from the logs for both applications as to
>>> what th eproblem may be.  Thanks in advance for any assistance.
>>>
>>> nmap reports:
>>>
>>> 80/tcp     open        http
>>> 8009/tcp   open        ajp13

Posted by Clay Jones <cl...@clay-jones.com>.