Posted to users@solr.apache.org by Ishay Levi <is...@varonis.com.INVALID> on 2021/08/15 10:20:20 UTC

Optimize requirements

Hi all,
We are running solr 8.9 and would like to perform optimize.
Some questions:

  1.  What is the required diskspace for optimize?
  2.  If we set TieredMergePolicyFactory values as
maxMergeAtOnce = 10
maxMergedSegmentMB = 5120
does it means that at the same time 20 segments with max size of 5GB will be merged? So required diskspace is 100GB?

  1.  Is it possible to optimize a single core?
Thanks,
Ishay Levi

________________________________
This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

RE: Optimize requirements

Posted by Ishay Levi <is...@varonis.com.INVALID>.
Our Index is big, relatively static and have deletions, we would like to optimize and expunge deletes

From what I understood from the solr documentation, TieredMergePolicyFactory can be modified to minimize deletions but we will still end up with (potentially) 20% deleted documents.

WARNING - External email, exercise caution.

Why do you want to run a force merge (misnamed "optimize").
What benefits do you expect?

A forced merge is almost never needed and it is often not a good idea.

wunder
Walter Underwood
wunder@wunderwood.org
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fobserver.wunderwood.org%2F&amp;data=04%7C01%7Cislevi%40varonis.com%7C3ca019be2c1c403cec0708d96001770a%7C080f3eaf1e2e4baf8c3be36006ff4ee8%7C0%7C0%7C637646381822638880%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C2000&amp;sdata=cX%2FMD%2BB6Zeqo%2FIOTI9EPa1AksMcRDeJr8eIgtoQito0%3D&amp;reserved=0  (my blog)

Re: Optimize requirements

Posted by Walter Underwood <wu...@wunderwood.org>.