Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by George Armhold <ar...@cs.rutgers.edu> on 2004/04/12 23:29:51 UTC

batik performance on MacOS X

Hi all,

I'm in the very early stages of testing our batik-based app on
MacOS X and have found some show stoppers.  First, I see several cases
where JSVGComponent does not properly display content- either it never
loads the requested document, or it loads the doc but parts of the
canvas don't seem to render.  This is very reminiscent of what happens
when you modify the DOM outside of the UpdateManager thread.

Second, performance is very poor.  Running squiggle from the command
line (ie cold-start JVM) to load "anne.svg" takes about 21 seconds on
my G4 Powerbook.  My older Windows/Linux systems generally take about
half that time.

Are there still problems for Batik on MacOS X?  Here's an old thread
from July 2002 that discusses performance on the Mac:
http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-dev/archives/msg02975.html
I'm not ruling out problems in our own code, but if there are known
problems in Batik I'd like to hear about them.  Are there there any
Mac users on this list that can comment?

Thanks for your time.

Re: batik performance on MacOS X

Posted by George Armhold <ar...@cs.rutgers.edu>.
On Apr 12, 2004, at 5:29 PM, George Armhold wrote:

> I'm in the very early stages of testing our batik-based app on
> MacOS X and have found some show stoppers.

Some pertinent details that I forgot in my earlier posting:

MacOS v10.3.3, J2SDK 1.4.2_03, and Batik built from CVS approx 4 weeks
ago.

Re: batik performance on MacOS X

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

> Are there still problems for Batik on MacOS X?  Here's an old thread
> from July 2002 that discusses performance on the Mac:
> http://koala.ilog.fr/batik/mlists/batik-dev/archives/msg02975.html
> I'm not ruling out problems in our own code, but if there are known
> problems in Batik I'd like to hear about them.  Are there there any
> Mac users on this list that can comment?

I am not Mac users so it may not be much help.
I remember last time the problem of MacOS X is mainly due to font
searching & font path problem. And I think it is already fixed.
Also check out the Batik FAQ, it listed some Mac stuff.

Regards
Tonny Kohar
--
Sketsa