Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Thomas Lindell <tl...@adlmail.com> on 2006/11/21 17:29:15 UTC

blarsbl

Has anyone had any dealings with this guy.

I take my mail server very seriously.  Further I take spamming very
seriously in general.

Even when I detect one of my customers sending spam I disable there internet
until the problem is resolved

The guy that runs the blarsbl list wants to charge my company 1500$ to
remove our mail server from his list.

When it was listed there for no good reason.

I checked my mail logs going back 6 months there wasn't a single email sent
nor received from this guys domain and or ip block.

It would seem to me he's nothing more then a petty extortionist.

Anyone else had to deal with this?

This is the guy's www site

http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html

Here is a quote from his www site

If you would like a site be added or removed from BlarsBL, you may hire
Blars at his normal consulting rates (currently $250/hour, 2 hour minimum,
$1000 deposit due in advance for non-established customers) to investigate
your evidence about the site. If it is found that the entry was a mistake,
no charge will be made and the entire deposit will be refunded. Send Blars
email from a non-listed account to verify current rates and arrange payment.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Marc Perkel <ma...@perkel.com>.

DAve wrote:
> Thomas Lindell wrote:
>> Has anyone had any dealings with this guy.
>>
>> I take my mail server very seriously.  Further I take spamming very
>> seriously in general.
>> Even when I detect one of my customers sending spam I disable there
>> internet
>> until the problem is resolved
>>
>> The guy that runs the blarsbl list wants to charge my company 1500$ to
>> remove our mail server from his list.
>>
>> When it was listed there for no good reason.
>>
>> I checked my mail logs going back 6 months there wasn't a single
>> email sent
>> nor received from this guys domain and or ip block.
>>
>> It would seem to me he's nothing more then a petty extortionist.
>>
>> Anyone else had to deal with this?
>>
>> This is the guy's www site
>>

>> http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html
>
> Any admin blocking based on Blars has no mail we would miss, and we
> have very liberal limits for mail we accept due to our clients
> business models. He falls in the same category as SpamBag.
>
> DAve

I've dealt with him and he's a total whack job. His list totally sucks
and should not be used for any reason.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by snowcrash+spamassassin <sc...@gmail.com>.
> <**...@mchsi.com>: host gateway.mchsi.com[204.127.203.150] said:
>      550-12.175.23.161 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=mso,dc=att,dc=net
> 550 Blocked
>      for abuse. Please contact the administrator of your ISP or sending
>      mailservice. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

aha. the mchsi-variant of at&t. i seem to keep bumping into these guys
re: questionable emails/policies.

thanks for the info!

RE: blarsbl

Posted by Thomas Lindell <tl...@adlmail.com>.
Here is what I can give you

<**...@mchsi.com>: host gateway.mchsi.com[204.127.203.150] said:
     550-12.175.23.161 blocked by ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=mso,dc=att,dc=net
550 Blocked
     for abuse. Please contact the administrator of your ISP or sending
     mailservice. (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
Reporting-MTA: dns; adlsrv4.airbornedatalink.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 18:13:01 -0600 (CST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; *****@mchsi.com
Remote-MTA: dns; gateway.mchsi.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-12.175.23.161 blocked by
     ldap:ou=rblmx,dc=mso,dc=att,dc=net 550 Blocked for abuse. Please
contact
     the administrator of your ISP or sending mailservice.

After contacting media com I was reffered to at&t to have the ip removed
from there blacklist

I spoke with my at&t rep and he informed me that they where using blarssbl
as a dns secondary.

This was a spoken conversation and no I did not record it.

I've sence gotten removed manualy from at&t's mirrored copy of blars.

My rep promised to look into the fact that they where using blars in the
first place.

can you please share/point-to some evidence of that fact?  if that
*is* the case, i'll be chatting with my reps at at&t!

if i've missed it here, i apologize in advance ...

thanks.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by snowcrash+spamassassin <sc...@gmail.com>.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Charlie Clark <ch...@begeistert.org>.
Am 21.11.2006 um 17:53 schrieb Thomas Lindell:

> At&t mail servers use his service.
>
> Which means I can't send to mediacom which is an at&t partner
>
> I couldn't believe at&t used his service.
>
> What's odd is that my company uses at&t backhaul bandwidth in the
> form of 4
> t1's
>
> Grr the whole thing is frustrating

The guy's a moron but I think his disclaimer lets him off:
"The BlarsBL is maintained by Blars at his wim. Use for any purpouse
should be done at your own risk, and Blars is not responsible for use
by anyone but himself."

While he is under no compunction to remove an address I think his
demand for money is ludicrous.

If this is held under the right nose at AT&T or Mediacom it should
produce the right reaction.

But this and other issues do pose the question: how easy is it going
to be for spammers to start using blocking list against normal users?

Charlie

--
Charlie Clark
Helmholtzstr. 20

Re: ****Re: blarsbl

Posted by Craig White <cr...@azapple.com>.
On Tue, 2006-11-21 at 12:07 -0500, DAve wrote:
> Thomas Lindell wrote:
> > At&t mail servers use his service.
> >
> > Which means I can't send to mediacom which is an at&t partner
> >
> > I couldn't believe at&t used his service.
> >
> > What's odd is that my company uses at&t backhaul bandwidth in the form of 4
> > t1's
> >
> > Grr the whole thing is frustrating
> >
> > Tom

----
by appearances, he doesn't seem much like that AT&T type - that picture
pretty much sums it up.

;-)

Craig

Re: blarsbl

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.
Thomas Lindell wrote:
> At&t mail servers use his service.
>
> Which means I can't send to mediacom which is an at&t partner
>
> I couldn't believe at&t used his service.
>
> What's odd is that my company uses at&t backhaul bandwidth in the form of 4
> t1's
>
> Grr the whole thing is frustrating
>
> Tom

Veterans?

RE: blarsbl

Re: blarsbl

Posted by DAve <da...@pixelhammer.com>.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@xl.wp.pl>.
"Thomas Lindell" <tl...@adlmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone had any dealings with this guy.
>
> I take my mail server very seriously.  Further I take spamming very
> seriously in general.
>
> Even when I detect one of my customers sending spam I disable there internet
> until the problem is resolved
>
> The guy that runs the blarsbl list wants to charge my company 1500$ to
> remove our mail server from his list.
>
> When it was listed there for no good reason.
>
> I checked my mail logs going back 6 months there wasn't a single email sent
> nor received from this guys domain and or ip block.
>
> It would seem to me he's nothing more then a petty extortionist.
>
> Anyone else had to deal with this?
>
> This is the guy's www site
>

> http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html
>
> Here is a quote from his www site
>
> If you would like a site be added or removed from BlarsBL, you may hire
> Blars at his normal consulting rates (currently $250/hour, 2 hour minimum,
> $1000 deposit due in advance for non-established customers) to investigate
> your evidence about the site. If it is found that the entry was a mistake,
> no charge will be made and the entire deposit will be refunded. Send Blars
> email from a non-listed account to verify current rates and arrange payment.

Do pay (to much) attention to this [person].

Once after investigating somebody's complaint posted in usenet
(pl.* hierarchy) I found that *ONE* */16 listing in blars list listed
50+ Autonomous (Routing) Systems from Sakhalin in Russia trough Ukraine
and Poland to Germany. Even SPEWS is not that brave/draconian (I hope).

--
[pl2en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@priv.onet.pl : anfi@xl.wp.pl

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Spamassassin List <sp...@gmail.com>.
> This is the guy's www site
> http://www.blars.org/errors/block.html

I had some trouble with his list before too. Not many people is using that
list, so i guess, not much of damage done anyway.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Kelson <ke...@speed.net>.
Michael W Cocke wrote:
> He is.  My system is on his list too, which is pretty amazing when you
> consider that my mail server supports 3, count them, 3 users - myself,
> my wife, and my 10 year old son - and he's somehow determined that my
> site hosts spammers.

Last I looked, he listed all of Sprint.  All of it.  Not just Sprint's
offices, not just sites hosted by Sprint, but the entire IP space.  He
states that he normally adds entire netblocks.

In fact, he used to block access to his website from anyone who was
listed, which meant I needed to use an anonymizing proxy just to read
about why he'd blocked it.

Oddly, our mail server shows up with a 127.3.0.0 result.  According to
his description, listings should return 127.1.xxx.xxx, with the last two
octets indicating the reason.  Going by his table, the return code
indicates that he listed us for no reason.

I think it's telling that of the three multiple-RBL-lookup sites I have
bookmarked, one (http://www.robtex.com/rbls.html) has deprecated the
list and no longer checks it, and one (http://moensted.dk/spam/) labels
it with the phrase, "trying to be removed creates urges to kill".

--
Kelson Vibber

Re: blarsbl

Posted by Michael W Cocke <co...@catherders.com>.
On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 10:29:15 -0600, you wrote:

>Has anyone had any dealings with this guy.
>
>I take my mail server very seriously.  Further I take spamming very
>seriously in general.
>
>Even when I detect one of my customers sending spam I disable there internet
>until the problem is resolved
>
>The guy that runs the blarsbl list wants to charge my company 1500$ to
>remove our mail server from his list.
>
>When it was listed there for no good reason.
>
>I checked my mail logs going back 6 months there wasn't a single email sent
>nor received from this guys domain and or ip block.
>
>It would seem to me he's nothing more then a petty extortionist.

He is.  My system is on his list too, which is pretty amazing when you
consider that my mail server supports 3, count them, 3 users - myself,
my wife, and my 10 year old son - and he's somehow determined that my
site hosts spammers.

I ignore him.

Mike-
--
If you're not confused, you're not trying hard enough.

Re: blarsbl

Posted by twofers <tw...@yahoo.com>.
I'm sure the FTC and US Attorny General's office would like to know about this.

  All you have to do is write a a letter addressed to Attn: of Consumer Affairs and these guys will check it out....in a big way.

  Wes

[...]

Sponsored Link

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Online degrees from top schools - in as fast as 1 year