Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Jay Vyas <ja...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/18 16:39:29 UTC

Hive/HCatalog/Pig/etc.. smoke tests vs full integration tests

I have found that there are a series of elegantly organized smoke tests in
hcatalog.

For example:
https://github.com/apache/bigtop/blob/master/bigtop-tests/test-artifacts/giraph/src/main/groovy/org/apache/bigtop/itest/giraphsmoke/TestGiraphSmoke.groovy

Now I'm wondering, is there a next level of integration tests for
individual ecosystem tools in BigTop?

i.e. is there a full set of integration tests that confirm, for example,
that hive is correctly working on my cluster?  Or is the hive smoke test
sufficient?
--
Jay Vyas
http://jayunit100.blogspot.com

Re: Hive/HCatalog/Pig/etc.. smoke tests vs full integration tests

Posted by Mark Grover <gr...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jay,
Sorry about the delayed response.

We have historically just used smoke tests to determine if a given
component is "working" on the cluster. As a matter of fact, many
integration tests are the same tests provided by the component
(especially case of pig and hive) just run on a fully distributed
cluster.

It's not possible to test all features of say Hive on a fully
distributed cluster but we do test a good subset of features
end-to-end.

Hope that answers your question.

Mark