Posted to dev@ctakes.apache.org by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com> on 2019/07/17 16:26:08 UTC

Re: Synthetic replacement feature in cTAKES Scrubber

Hi Masoud, we had a similar requirement to identify patient names in the
narratives text and I had a discussion with Sean Finan on patient name
identification feature in cTAKES. What he told at that point in time was
cTAKES dint supported patient name identification feature. Also as far as I
know, I m not really sure whether scrubber made it to the cTAKES codebase.

Sean, Please correct me if I m wrong.

On Wednesday, July 17, 2019, Masoud Rouhizadeh <mr...@jhu.edu> wrote:

> Dear cTAKES developer,
> This is Masoud Rouhizadeh from JHU. I'm leading the NLP effort at the
> Institute for Clinical and Translational Research and work on
> enterprise-level NLP projects at Johns Hopkins Medicine. One of the major
> goals we are targeting is de-identification of a large number of notes
> (350M) to prepare them for search and indexing (Elasticsearch and Solr). I
> have been in touch with Dr. Guergana Savova about cTAKES Scrubber and she
> has been very helpful.
>
> One of our most desired features in the de-identification pipeline is
> synthetic replacement (e.g. Nancy->Sally; random female first name
> consistently replaces a female first name.). I wasn't able to find
> information about this feature in cTAKES Scrubber. Is synthetic replacement
> functionality part of the cTAKES Scrubber, or can it be added by
> post-processing the output? For instance, if we know the name Nancy is
> removed from multiple places, can we use a name dictionary to insert random
> female first names in those places (just a thought)?
> Overall, I wanted to emphasize that cTAKES Scrubber is one of our main
> candidates and I'm hoping that we could find ways to collaborate.
>
> Thank you very much,
> Masoud
>
> ----
> Masoud Rouhizadeh, PhD
> Faculty - Division of Health Science Informatics (DHSI)
> NLP Lead - Institute for Clinical and Translational Research (ICTR)
> Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
> https://www.cs.jhu.edu/~mrou/

Gandhi

"The best way to find urself is to lose urself in the service of others !!!"

Re: Synthetic replacement feature in cTAKES Scrubber [EXTERNAL]

Posted by Masoud Rouhizadeh <mr...@jhu.edu>.
Hi all,

Thank you so much for your great feedback. I've learned a lot form these real-word, hands-on research insights on de-id.

This is clearly not very related to cTAKES anymore, and I don't want to spam cTAKES dev mailing list. I'm wondering is there any other mailing list where we could have these types of discussions?

Thanks,
Masoud

On 7/19/19, 11:24 AM, "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:

    Hi all,

    Replacement consistency on the patient vs. note level may or may not be important depending upon the project.

    For instance, If you need to place patients in a corpus on a timeline, then it is definitely necessary to be consistent across patients - not just consistent with names and dates across a patient, but also with unique names across a corpus if there are no other (deid'd) unique identifiers.  For other corpus-wide groupings, like diagnosis counts, correlation counts, etc. then consistency is important.

    I should also point out that time shifting severity can be very important depending upon the project.  For instance, headaches occur at any age, so if that is the study focus then a +/- 5 year shift may be ok.  However, a study related to something occurring during or around puberty may require a more narrow shift, say +/- 1 year.  Also consider date shift amounts for studies involving any drugs that would have been new or discontinued during the time studied, changes in diagnostic criteria, etc.  It may be necessary to use smaller shifts or maybe only shifts forward and not backward, etc.

    Lastly, something (like an internal quality control run?) -could- even require physician deids to be consistent across the entire corpus (not just per-patient).   This is a really special case, but it could happen.

    At any rate, the point is just that deid should not be viewed simple from any angle.

    Sean

----------------------

________________________________

[...]

    Date shifting also introduces pseudonymization problems.  For example, a patient admitted on December 15 may have a note saying they are expected to be discharged right after Christmas. If the admission date is shifted, say to mid-January, then retaining the discharge expectation would imply a very long anticipated hospital stay.

    We published a paper on this topic:
    https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__link.springer.com_chapter_10.1007_978-2D3-2D319-2D23633-2D9-5F27&d=DwIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=fs67GvlGZstTpyIisCYNYmQCP6r0bcpKGd4f7d4gTao&m=6W89gjAzseX6p7ykbILxuXxSLnkoxvHvx4fb-bXZyd4&s=VdZxU2g1EpC_NsszRn967-ej75GV--bMCJWICUd769s&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__link.springer.com_chapter_10.1007_978-2D3-2D319-2D23633-2D9-5F27&d=DwIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=fs67GvlGZstTpyIisCYNYmQCP6r0bcpKGd4f7d4gTao&m=6W89gjAzseX6p7ykbILxuXxSLnkoxvHvx4fb-bXZyd4&s=VdZxU2g1EpC_NsszRn967-ej75GV--bMCJWICUd769s&e= >

    I also have some old Java code that deal with a few of these issues, and would be happy to share with anyone interested, though it’s far from production quality and does not address all the issues we know.

    —Peter Szolovits

    > On Jul 17, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Finan, Sean <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > ctakes-scrubber is not in any ctakes release and it is not in the main repository.  It never went beyond experimental and resides within the ctakes sandbox.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__svn.apache.org_repos_asf_ctakes_sandbox_&d=DwIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=fs67GvlGZstTpyIisCYNYmQCP6r0bcpKGd4f7d4gTao&m=6W89gjAzseX6p7ykbILxuXxSLnkoxvHvx4fb-bXZyd4&s=QlyV8bpJ_6w_HjmV2s6aeFwCuFxwTzeCN2v80TeuOSw&e=  <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__svn.apache.org_repos_asf_ctakes_sandbox_&d=DwIGaQ&c=qS4goWBT7poplM69zy_3xhKwEW14JZMSdioCoppxeFU&r=fs67GvlGZstTpyIisCYNYmQCP6r0bcpKGd4f7d4gTao&m=6W89gjAzseX6p7ykbILxuXxSLnkoxvHvx4fb-bXZyd4&s=QlyV8bpJ_6w_HjmV2s6aeFwCuFxwTzeCN2v80TeuOSw&e= >
    >
    > From what I recall, scrubber does not have "real" name replacement, but instead de-identifies entities by removing them and inserting a tag indicating the type of entity.  For instance: "John has a rash" -> "[person] has a rash".   That is not verbatim, but it is the general idea.
    >
    > If you can get ctakes-scrubber working in your project then it would be pretty easy to create an engine that does nothing except replace such generic tags with random names, dates, institutions, etc.
    >
    > Sean

    https://academic.oup.com/jamia/article/20/1/84/2909298

    The replacing PHI task was employed with data based on US CENSUS distribution.

    https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1532046414000161

    ----------------------

[...]

    Date shifting also introduces pseudonymization problems.  For example, a patient admitted on December 15 may have a note saying they are expected to be discharged right after Christmas. If the admission date is shifted, say to mid-January, then retaining the discharge expectation would imply a very long anticipated hospital stay.

    We published a paper on this topic:
    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23633-9_27 <https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23633-9_27>

    I also have some old Java code that deal with a few of these issues, and would be happy to share with anyone interested, though it’s far from production quality and does not address all the issues we know.

    —Peter Szolovits

    > On Jul 17, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Finan, Sean <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > ctakes-scrubber is not in any ctakes release and it is not in the main repository.  It never went beyond experimental and resides within the ctakes sandbox.  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/>
    >
    > From what I recall, scrubber does not have "real" name replacement, but instead de-identifies entities by removing them and inserting a tag indicating the type of entity.  For instance: "John has a rash" -> "[person] has a rash".   That is not verbatim, but it is the general idea.
    >
    > If you can get ctakes-scrubber working in your project then it would be pretty easy to create an engine that does nothing except replace such generic tags with random names, dates, institutions, etc.
    >
    > Sean

    Date shifting also introduces pseudonymization problems.  For example, a patient admitted on December 15 may have a note saying they are expected to be discharged right after Christmas. If the admission date is shifted, say to mid-January, then retaining the discharge expectation would imply a very long anticipated hospital stay.

    We published a paper on this topic:
    https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23633-9_27 <https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-23633-9_27>

    I also have some old Java code that deal with a few of these issues, and would be happy to share with anyone interested, though it’s far from production quality and does not address all the issues we know.

    —Peter Szolovits

    > On Jul 17, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Finan, Sean <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu> wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >
    > ctakes-scrubber is not in any ctakes release and it is not in the main repository.  It never went beyond experimental and resides within the ctakes sandbox.  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/ <https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/>
    >
    > From what I recall, scrubber does not have "real" name replacement, but instead de-identifies entities by removing them and inserting a tag indicating the type of entity.  For instance: "John has a rash" -> "[person] has a rash".   That is not verbatim, but it is the general idea.
    >
    > If you can get ctakes-scrubber working in your project then it would be pretty easy to create an engine that does nothing except replace such generic tags with random names, dates, institutions, etc.
    >
    > Sean

Date shifting also introduces pseudonymization problems.  For example, a patient admitted on December 15 may have a note saying they are expected to be discharged right after Christmas. If the admission date is shifted, say to mid-January, then retaining the discharge expectation would imply a very long anticipated hospital stay.

Posted by Peter Szolovits <ps...@mit.edu>.
[...]

Date shifting also introduces pseudonymization problems.  For example, a patient admitted on December 15 may have a note saying they are expected to be discharged right after Christmas. If the admission date is shifted, say to mid-January, then retaining the discharge expectation would imply a very long anticipated hospital stay.

Posted by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ravi,

Posted by Ravi Tejwani <ra...@icloud.com.INVALID>.

Posted by gandhi rajan <ga...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the insight Sean.

Posted by "Finan, Sean" <Se...@childrens.harvard.edu>.
Hi All,

ctakes-scrubber is not in any ctakes release and it is not in the main repository.  It never went beyond experimental and resides within the ctakes sandbox.  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/ctakes/sandbox/

From what I recall, scrubber does not have "real" name replacement, but instead de-identifies entities by removing them and inserting a tag indicating the type of entity.  For instance:  "John has a rash" -> "[person] has a rash".   That is not verbatim, but it is the general idea.