Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Sébastien Geindre <se...@meteo.fr> on 2008/02/18 16:50:12 UTC

GZIP Stream Generator

hi all,

Have you ever heard about a king of stream generator that could rread a
gzip compress xml data flow, gunzip it and generate sax events ?

Does this kind of generator exist ?

Thanks

Sébastien.

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gr...@tuffmail.com>.
Sébastien Geindre pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski a écrit :
>> Sébastien Geindre pisze:
>>
>>> hi all,
>>>
>>> Have you ever heard about a king of stream generator that could rread a
>>> gzip compress xml data flow, gunzip it and generate sax events ?
>>>
>>> Does this kind of generator exist ?
>>>

>> Is this data stored in gzipped file? If so, we have a zip: protocol in
>> Cocoon that probably would be
>> helpful for you.
>>
> no, not really.
> Imagine a client pushing xml data to a web service, it could push
> multipart/x-gzip data instead of txt/xml
>
> In my use cases, xml data could be heavy.
> So instead of StreamGenerator which handle xml flow of data posted by
> the client.
> I need a GZipStreamGenerator which could hanlde a gzip stream of xml
> data....

If you need to handle gzipped POST request then I agree with Daniel's suggestion to take this job
out of Cocoon scope. If it can't be done with mod_deflate then it's probably a good idea to create a
servlet filter or something like that.

I don't think that messing with such low-level details like body compression in Cocoon components is
a good idea.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Sébastien Geindre <se...@meteo.fr>.

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Grzegorz Kossakowski <gk...@apache.org>.

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Dev at weitling <de...@weitling.net>.
>>> Have you ever heard about a king of stream generator that could
>>> rread a gzip compress xml data flow, gunzip it and generate sax
>>> events ?
>>>
>>> Does this kind of generator exist ?
>>
>> I don't know. But if you want to code something like this, it could
>> probably better as a Reader, so the contained data doesn't have to be
>> XML.
> i am not familiar to Reader.

For 2.1 look here at the org.apache.cocoon.reading.Reader interface
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/apidocs/org/apache/cocoon/reading/Reader.html)

> Could you explain why it should be better to do with reader ?

The reader is more generic. With a GZipReader you could ungzip every
kind of data, not only xml. The standard generator could have it's data
provided by this reader. And readers could even be chained.

> Do not forget that client will sent GZIP file as stream...

Uhm, the client posts a gzipped xml file? What about Alexander Daniel's
post? So you could have the compression transparent and have to do now
work on it.

Florian

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Sébastien Geindre <se...@meteo.fr>.
Dev at weitling a écrit :
> Hi Sébastien,
>
>> Have you ever heard about a king of stream generator that could rread
>> a gzip compress xml data flow, gunzip it and generate sax events ?
>>
>> Does this kind of generator exist ?
>
> I don't know. But if you want to code something like this, it could
> probably better as a Reader, so the contained data doesn't have to be
> XML.
i am not familiar to Reader.

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Dev at weitling <de...@weitling.net>.
Hi Sébastien,

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Sébastien Geindre <se...@meteo.fr>.
I agree !
This is the best way to do what i want...

Thanks all !

Re: GZIP Stream Generator

Posted by Alexander Daniel <al...@gmx.at>.