Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com> on 2015/10/08 02:12:31 UTC

Removing external containerizer from code base

Hey guys,

Per discussion in MESOS-3370
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MESOS-3370>, I'll start removing the
external containerizer and cleaning up the relevant code.

Please let me know if you have any concern. Thanks!

- Jie

Re: Removing external containerizer from code base

Posted by Alex Glikson <GL...@il.ibm.com>.
Actually we have been thinking to implement our own containerizer, and the
option to use ECP seemed attractive.
Can you, please, elaborate on the implications of having our own
containerizer without ECP? I assume we would have to implement it in cpp,
it might require recompiling (parts of) Mesos, some other things?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted by Brian Candler <b....@pobox.com>.
On 08/10/2015 19:04, Kapil Arya wrote:
> I don't know all the details, but I guess, depending upon the exact
> interface, it might be possible to have a C++ wrapper around a non-C++
> containerizer module. In a very naive approach, one simply fork/execs
> the "external" non-C++ containerizer script/program.
... and sends instructions to it. Which is, as far as I can see, what
the external containerizer does.

Re: Removing external containerizer from code base

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by Alex Glikson <GL...@il.ibm.com>.
Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io> wrote on 08/10/2015 09:21:14 PM:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > but I don't see 'containerizer' as one of the supported module types
listed
> > > in the documentation.. Can you, please, clarify?
> >

> > Not right now, but should be very trivial to do. Kapil or I can
definitely
> > help with this.
>
> +1

Excellent! Would appreciate some guidelines then, in whatever format makes
sense (and/or an example). Maybe replacing the code/guidelines to use ECP
:-)

Thanks,
Alex

Re: Removing external containerizer from code base

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.
On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 2:19 PM, Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> but I don't see 'containerizer' as one of the supported module types listed
> > in the documentation.. Can you, please, clarify?
>

> Not right now, but should be very trivial to do. Kapil or I can definitely
> help with this.

+1

Posted by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

From:   Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>
To:     user@mesos.apache.org
Cc:     dev <de...@mesos.apache.org>
Date:   08/10/2015 08:57 PM

Posted by Kapil Arya <ka...@mesosphere.io>.

Posted by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
Alex,

Posted by Jie Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I created this ticket to track

Kapil, do you want to pick this up? I can pick this up as well once I
finish a few stuff on my hand.

Posted by Timothy Chen <tn...@gmail.com>.
Yes it can be a module.

Posted by tommy xiao <xi...@gmail.com>.