Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jerry Malcolm <te...@malcolms.com> on 2018/11/30 16:33:51 UTC

OT: Java Textbook?

Completely off-topic.  But I figure this is the perfect group to ask
this question to.  I will be teaching a university level intro to Java
programming (for non-programming majors) in the spring semester.  I am
looking for a good textbook to use.   I've been out of academia for
years.  So I'm not up to date on available java textbooks.   If you are
aware of a good textbook, please let me know.  You can reply here.  Or
just PM me at the address above (please put 'textbook' in the subject
line if you PM me).

Thanks.

Jerry (ProfJerry.com)

Re: OT: Java Textbook?

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

RE: Java Textbook?

Posted by "Tran, Minh" <mi...@emoryhealthcare.org>.
Dear Professor Malcolm,
   I have experimeted with this book intro to Java Programming, Comprehensive Version 10th Edition, and I found it useful for non Java programming.
The ISBN-13 is  978-0133761313.  May I ask what programming book were you using for your computer network class ? I am experimenting with
Python but I don't know if it is good fited ?
Thanks,

Minh Tran; Ph.D.

Completely off-topic.  But I figure this is the perfect group to ask
this question to.  I will be teaching a university level intro to Java
programming (for non-programming majors) in the spring semester.  I am
looking for a good textbook to use.   I've been out of academia for
years.  So I'm not up to date on available java textbooks.   If you are
aware of a good textbook, please let me know.  You can reply here.  Or
just PM me at the address above (please put 'textbook' in the subject
line if you PM me).

Thanks.

Jerry (ProfJerry.com)

________________________________

prohibited.

Re: OT: Java Textbook?

Posted by Arjuna Bandara <ar...@gmail.com>.
Dear Jerry,

According to my personal preference I am a big fan of Head first book
series ("head first java"). Here you can find good examples for teaching.

Moreover I can suggest " effective java" and "Java in nutshell" books.

Regards
Arjuna

Re: OT: Java Textbook?

Posted by Hoa Phan <s5...@gmail.com>.
I'd say Core Java.I read other books mentioned as well, they are good in their own ways. However Core Java was one with best structure and paints the best picture.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

  On Sat, Dec 1, 2018 at 3:34, Jerry Malcolm<te...@malcolms.com> wrote:   Completely off-topic.  But I figure this is the perfect group to ask