Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Lind Jürgen <Ju...@iteratec.de> on 2001/02/06 13:02:13 UTC

JBuilder Enterprise

Hi,

after the discussion on using JBuilder for Web Development, I decided
to try the Enterprise Edition... While my stuff worked fine with the
Foundation version (and an "external" Tomcat), I cannot get it running
within the JBuilder Environment. After I managed to tell the internal
Tomcat where to find the struts TLDs, Tomcat complains about some missing
attribute:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Missing resources attribute
org.apache.struts.action.MESSAGE
 at
l.java:386)
 at
www.p_00025blic_0005fhtml.webapps.odin_0002dtracer.jsp._0002fwww_0002fpublic
_0005fhtml_0002fwebapps_0002fodin_0002dtracer_0002fjsp_0002flogon_0002ejsplo
gon_jsp_0._jspService(_0002fwww_0002fpublic_0005fhtml_0002fwebapps_0002fodin
_0002dtracer_0002fjsp_0002flogon_0002ejsplogon_jsp_0.java:305)

Any ideas what this means and how to fix it?

Regards,

Jürgen

Re: JBuilder Enterprise

Posted by Deping Chian <de...@infopoll.net>.
> I think the VM parameter is
> -classic
> and yes there is a huge difference in speed with the -classic VM parameter.
> Speaking of VM parameters... Do you override the automagically generated
> classpath when you run struts?
> JBuilder will automagically adds all defined libraries for compiling on the
> classpath when you have selected a main for your project.  This results in JB
> putting the struts.jar on the classpath when starting Tomcat.  This is not a
I don't use any of JB's jars for my web/database/struts apps. Tomcat's
jars have all the needed resources.

> I have contacted Inprise on this and after about 6 email and explaining over and
> over why the jar file did not need to be on the classpath (since the Servlet
> engine loads it) they told me I would have to override using a Xbootpath or
> something.  I complained that they need a better approach and punted on
> compiling within JB.  I use an ant script to compile and JB to debug.  It works
> out ok.  Just curious if you have addressed this potential problem.  I was
> running my project just fine with the struts.jar on the classpath, but I did not
> want to take any chances.
I don't see any reasons for putting jars in classpath: just add them
visually in project library settings. Don't put struts.jar in your
project library setting; otherwise your struts calls can have problem in
locating directories. The location of your struts.jar is found by your
struts-config.xml.

> Did you figure out how to debug JSP's in the Enterprise Version?
Just click a break point, and run in debug mode. The JB will pause at
that point, and you can then look at the value of the variable.

Deping

Re: JBuilder Enterprise

Posted by "Steven D. Wilkinson" <st...@acm.org>.
I think the VM parameter is
-classic
and yes there is a huge difference in speed with the -classic VM parameter.

Speaking of VM parameters... Do you override the automagically generated
classpath when you run struts?
JBuilder will automagically adds all defined libraries for compiling on the
classpath when you have selected a main for your project.  This results in JB
putting the struts.jar on the classpath when starting Tomcat.  This is not a
good thing and can cause problems.  I avoid it since I don't need any mystery
problems, seems I can create enough problems on my on. :-)

So, do you work around this or are you living dangerously or have you found a
work around.

I have contacted Inprise on this and after about 6 email and explaining over and
over why the jar file did not need to be on the classpath (since the Servlet
engine loads it) they told me I would have to override using a Xbootpath or
something.  I complained that they need a better approach and punted on
compiling within JB.  I use an ant script to compile and JB to debug.  It works
out ok.  Just curious if you have addressed this potential problem.  I was
running my project just fine with the struts.jar on the classpath, but I did not
want to take any chances.

Did you figure out how to debug JSP's in the Enterprise Version?

Steve

Re: JBuilder Enterprise

Posted by Deping Chian <de...@infopoll.net>.