Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com> on 2004/02/23 04:27:50 UTC

On WebApp load/reload, NoClassDefFoundError for org/apache/tapestry/IResourceResolver

I'm curious if anybody's seen this. I was running Tapestry post beta 3,
inside a webapp inside an ear, with no issues, including reloading on
hot redeploying the app, running inside JBoss (TomCat version).

Around the same time, I switched to beta 4, and added Tapestry to
another webapp inside the ear. Now, about 2/3 of the time when I deploy
or redeploy (doesn't seem to make a difference), I get the following
error on startup of the webapps:

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/tapestry/IResourceResolver
    at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Class.java:1610)
    at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper.loadServlet(StandardWrapper.java:903)

and if I try to hit the tapestry app, it tells me that the servlet is
not available...

Has anybody seen something like this?  I think it's probably some sort
of race condition related to classloading, given that it works about 1/3
- 1/2 the time, while failing the rest of the time, on a pretty random
basis. Very annoying.

Regards,
Colin

Re: On WebApp load/reload, NoClassDefFoundError for org/apache/tapestry/IResourceResolver

Posted by Colin Sampaleanu <co...@exis.com>.
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
>
>> Around the same time, I switched to beta 4, and added Tapestry to
>> another webapp inside the ear. Now, about 2/3 of the time when I
>> deploy or redeploy (doesn't seem to make a difference), I get the
>> following error on startup of the webapps:
>

> We use multiple Tapestry WAR's within a single EAR within JRun
> successfully.  I've not seen this type of error before.
>
>> Has anybody seen something like this?  I think it's probably some
>> sort of race condition related to classloading, given that it works
>> about 1/3 - 1/2 the time, while failing the rest of the time, on a
>> pretty random basis. Very annoying.
>

> Ah the joys of JBoss and classloading:
> http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java/ucl_bitten.html

Tell me about it. You have _no_ idea how much (mental) pain I have
suffered in the last couple of years due to JBoss classloading bugs. --
Actually, I see I'm mentioned in that link. The hilarious thing is that
the JBoss folks always seem to tout that classloader as a good feature...

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
On Feb 22, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Colin Sampaleanu wrote:
> Around the same time, I switched to beta 4, and added Tapestry to
> another webapp inside the ear. Now, about 2/3 of the time when I
> deploy or redeploy (doesn't seem to make a difference), I get the
> following error on startup of the webapps:

We use multiple Tapestry WAR's within a single EAR within JRun
successfully.  I've not seen this type of error before.

> Has anybody seen something like this?  I think it's probably some sort
> of race condition related to classloading, given that it works about
> 1/3 - 1/2 the time, while failing the rest of the time, on a pretty
> random basis. Very annoying.

Ah the joys of JBoss and classloading:
http://members.capmac.org/~orb/blog.cgi/tech/java/ucl_bitten.html

	Erik