Posted to user@lucenenet.apache.org by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com> on 2010/12/22 10:54:20 UTC

Did the Lucene.net team met the target?

Hi all,
just wanted to know if the Lucene.net team managed to do the things the
"board" was asking in order to keep it alive.
I cannot see anything online (new website, latest "official" release, no new
commits).

Simone

--
Simone Chiaretta
Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
"Life is short, play hard"

Re: Did the Lucene.net team met the target?

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:29 AM, Simone Chiaretta wrote:

> There are already a few other forks going on...

That's fine, too.  I should have said, anyone interested in this project staying alive at the ASF, should go work on an Incubator proposal.

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:
>

>> On Dec 23, 2010, at 11:15 AM, Wyatt Barnett wrote:
>>
>>> In case anyone wants to read the discussion, it can be found at
>>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/lucene/general/113252.
>>>
>>> As for the subject matter, frankly I think help has been rejected or
>>> at least not accepted -- see issues such as
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-379 for one example.
>>
>> Just to be clear on my role here: I am not interested in doing work on
>> Lucene.NET and will not be doing commits to the project.  I just have the
>> role, as PMC chair, of making sure the projects we are responsible for are
>> active and healthy.  The committers on the project are responsible for
>> moving the project forward and doing the real work.  To the point of my
>> original email, the fact that the PMC and the committers are not (mostly)
>> the same people is problematic for this project and reason #1 of why it
>> belongs either as it's own standalone project at the ASF or somewhere else.
>>
>> I would suggest, at this point, that anyone who is interested in this
>> project remaining alive to go to
>> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/proposal.html and then start on an
>> Incubator Proposal and let others here know about it.
>>

>>> Insofar as an official 2.9.2 release -- what is involved? From what I
>>> can tell, 2.9.2 has been a de-facto release for the better part of a
>>> year at least. Do we just need to build some binaries and say it is
>>> so?
>>>

>> See http://apache.org/dev/#releases.  Again, however, you need committers
>> who are willing to do the work.  As stated above, you are probably better
>> off spending your time putting together an Incubator proposal.
>>
>> -Grant

>> my repeated appeals for the Board Report and, AFAICT, the website, etc. have
>> not been updated.  There is currently a PMC level discussion taking place at
>> general@lucene.apache.org (the subject is "Next Steps on Lucene.NET") on
>> what the next steps should be.

>> no new

> --
> Simone Chiaretta
> Microsoft MVP ASP.NET - ASPInsider
> Blog: http://codeclimber.net.nz
> RSS: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/codeclimber
> twitter: @simonech
>
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
> "Life is short, play hard"

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com

Re: Did the Lucene.net team met the target?

Posted by Simone Chiaretta <si...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Posted by Wyatt Barnett <wy...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.