Posted to dev@karaf.apache.org by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/25 12:08:35 UTC

Fwd: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

FYI, I'm really excited about finally being able to have a unified web
console for Karaf / ActiveMQ / Camel, especially the fact that the same web
console can be used in a non OSGi-environment, so we can really leverage
and work together on a single web console.
I'd encourage everyone to have a look at it and eventually look at what's
missing from a Karaf point of view so that we can discuss if/how we
integrate it.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I would also like to see an update about a "merge" between HawtIO and
Karaf WebConsole.
As reminder, Karaf WebConsole has been designed as a container hosting
Karaf, ActiveMQ, Camel, etc, exactly the same purpose as HawtIO.
Of course HawtIO is not Apache or Karaf subproject now, but it could be
interesting to see "overlap"/gaps and where the two projects have to
move together (or not ;)).

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Fwd: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 25 January 2013 17:22, Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> wrote:
> I have not looked into HawtIO in detail but the idea of having a general
> console with plugins for each technology sounds good to me.
> I also think it is good to start such a console separately in github as
> it allows for fast progress to show it works.

Agreed. github has great tools as well; plus its got the lowest
barrier to entry which encourages participation.

> For the long term I think that the generic part of such a console should
> move into an apache project. As it makes sense to keep the console
> independent of OSGi a separate project may make sense.
> So why should we do this in apache? The reason is that currently HawtIO
> is just another console. Only at a big community like apache we can hope
> for a project to get enough acceptance that a lot of projects participate.
>
> So if we succeed in creating an accepted generic foundation for
> management consoles then each of the technology plugins could be
> developed in the respective projects.
>
> What do you think about this?

It could move to Apache one day. I'm much more keen though to get
folks contributing and writing plugins - those plugins could live at
github, eclipse, inside their respective Apache projects or in a new
Apache UI project or whatever. Though actually having the UI console
in a separate project kinda helps (e.g. hawtio works with all versions
of Camel).

Everything's Apache licensed so any project can reuse / embed / extend
hawtio wherever folks wish; plus folks can create their own stand
alone consoles in any project - or just write and release their own
plugins from any project anywhere.

--
James
-------

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
On 27 January 2013 18:25, Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> ... and to make it precise. By writing "fighting for it" I mean:
> - add missing features to Karaf WebConsole
> - provide better documentation (for users and developers)
> - make it as easy as possible to install it
> -  and whatever you can do to improve Karaf WebConsole.

It doesn't have to be a fight :). There's no reason Karaf WebConsole
can't reuse any/all of hawtio's plugins (e.g. for Camel / ActiveMQ /
JMX) or for Karaf WebConsole to expose all its Karaf views as a plugin
to hawtio; so users get the best of both worlds.

--
James
-------

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
... and to make it precise. By writing "fighting for it" I mean:
- add missing features to Karaf WebConsole
- provide better documentation (for users and developers)
- make it as easy as possible to install it
-  and whatever you can do to improve Karaf WebConsole.

Best,
Christian

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lukasz!

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Lukasz!

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Lukasz,

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Will have a look at hawtio over the weekend...
This thread has to cool down bit. Looking for technical discussions and
proposals how to move forward.

Best,
Christian

Sent from a mobile device

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 12:45 AM, Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>wrote:

> Guillaume,
> I'll not answer for your points since my statement was clear in previous
> message. Made the decision what do you want to do with hawt.io, what you
> want to offer Karaf community and then, simply back.

I was just offerring the knowledge, nothing more. And eventually an
invitation to look at it and eventually work on it if people want.  Not all
people follow the camel list and I think it made sense to do it.  Because
it runs in Karaf, and because lots of Karaf users use camel or activemq,
and because it can also serve as a Karaf management console.  If you're not
interested, just ignore the discussion.

> If  you have some objections about my previous or current arguments, go
> ahead.

So I did, but you just said you don't want to answer them.

> We can talk with somebody who is higher than we. I'm personally curious
> what Apache officers thinks about this kind of announcements.

In such a case, you should really send an email to the PMC first (
private@karaf.apache.org),  where JB being the PMC chair is also an officer
of the ASF.  There are also a few other ASF members there.  The PMC is the
one responsible for the project.  Ultimately, you can ping the board (
board@apache.org), though it's usually done when the PMC fails to handle a
situation.

> I'll especially skip the argument about company since Apache is community
> over the code and you should never raise argument like that.

You brought the argument in when you said "Fuse project" (not even sure
what you mean by that since FuseSource does not exist anymore).   I think
one of the implication is I'm not acting for the benefit of the project
itself.  So you're questioning my integrity, and I can't really let that go
without answering.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Guillaume,
I'll not answer for your points since my statement was clear in previous message. Made the decision what do you want to do with hawt.io, what you want to offer Karaf community and then, simply back.

If  you have some objections about my previous or current arguments, go ahead. We can talk with somebody who is higher than we. I'm personally curious what Apache officers thinks about this kind of announcements. I'll especially skip the argument about company since Apache is community over the code and you should never raise argument like that.

--
Pozdrawiam,
Lukasz

Re: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Łukasz Dywicki <lu...@code-house.org>.
Guillaume,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
I got your point about non-OSGi and it makes sense.

 From a technical perspective, and regarding that HawtIO is a new
project, it makes sense for move forward on github.

The point will be present later. For instance, I got remarks from some
users saying that they would prefer to see Pax* projects as ASF projects
to insure legal stuff and at least release votes (which is a kind of ASF
stamp for the project). They are less confident in non Apache project
because they are not really code review and release vote.
To be honest, I don't think it's a big deal, but some users is looking
for that.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Fwd: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@gmail.com>.

--
------------------------
Guillaume Nodet

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org

Re: Fwd: [ANN] hawtio: a new lightweight HTML5 console for Apache Camel, ActiveMQ, JMX, OSGi & Fuse Fabric

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de