Posted to dev@ignite.apache.org by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org> on 2015/11/18 19:16:21 UTC

Branch deletion prohibited

Fellows,

I'm trying to push a branch deletion and the ASF Git tells me that branch
deletion is prohibited.

Has someone changed something?

[raul@~/Workbench/Source/ignite$] git push -f origin :ignite-1790
remote: error: denying ref deletion for refs/heads/ignite-1790
To https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/ignite
 ! [remote rejected] ignite-1790 (deletion prohibited)
error: failed to push some refs to '
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/ignite'

Regards,

*Raúl Kripalani*
PMC & Committer @ Apache Ignite, Apache Camel | Integration, Big Data and
Messaging Engineer
http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani
http://blog.raulkr.net | twitter: @raulvk

Re: Branch deletion prohibited

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:41 AM, Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 9:28 AM, Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> > But this leads to tons of garbage in repo and abandoned branches, etc.
> >

> "Let's not do X because our developers are irresponsible and leave branches
> behind?" -- Really? We have a zillion-pages set of contribution guidelines
> and we still think our developers are any liberty?
>
> Let's just add one more section to Coding guidelines about branch
> lifecycle, if that's what you're worried about.

Raul, we physically cannot delete branches. ASF GIT does not allow it.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Nov 24, 2015 at 05:53AM, Branko Čibej wrote:
> On 23.11.2015 20:41, Konstantin Boudnik wrote:

> >> The best way to get this changed is to invent a workflow that doesn't
> >> delete important information. "Important" in this case meaning "always
> >> knowing where a particular bit of code came from". Most "optimal" Git
> >> workflows tend to happily rebase and squash such info out the window.
> > How it is different if I take _all_ code in an SVN trunk, pack into a giant
> > tarball, then create a fresh branch and commit that blob as a single commit?
>
> Not different at all. But my point is that Git allows you to do that
> with one command, and many workflows based on Git actively encourage
> (dare I say mandate) that sort of thing. Whereas it's less likely that
> anyone using SVN would propose such a workflow, since it'd be such a
> huge pain to follow.
>
> > The situation isn't git specific - it's people specific. Solving people
> > problem with tech never works, really.
>
> That's why I wrote "Git workflows", not "Git"; workflows are invented by
> people, not software. I agree that the prohibition on branch deletions
> isn't a solution; it's a stopgap, which everyone admits.

I believe we are in agreement here, just nibbling around the edges. Say, in
Bigtop we aren't even discussing things like force-pushing master or release
branches. On the other hand, what ppl are doing with their integration/dev
branches is no one else business, really.

> >> Case in point: when Ignite was incubating, we had an issue where we
> >> could not track the IP of the JSR166 backports (ConcurrentHashMap et
> >> al.), neither in the ASF repo (which was sort-of expected) nor in the
> >> original GridGain repo, because info about the original import was lost.
> >> We ended up having to remove those files and re-import them from the
> >> canonical source, so that we could be certain about the license. In this
> >> case, by sheer luck, the solution was simple.
> > The assumption that it happened because of git is non consequential, actually.
> > Most likely that was a result of some mundane reasons like moving
> > repos/re-importing the code from one place to another, etc. Keep in mind, the
> > code base is like 8 years old, and wasn't in git originally. Perhaps it was
> > sitting in SVN and brought-up to git with fast-import, which shouldn't be used
> > really.
>
> Did I say it's "because of Git"? I did not; I said it's because of the
> workflows people tend to use with Git. Let's not make this a Git vs. SVN
> debate, because it's not and the embers (not flames yet) are just
> distracting from the topic.
>
> I guess my example wasn't well chosen; I should've looked for one that
> happened recently in ASF code.
>

> >> The ASF promises its users that we have complete oversight of the IP in
> >> our released source and can easily audit any single byte of source all
> >> the way to its original author. Deleting a branch in Git (and other
> >> destructive changes) can make auditing extremely hard, in some cases
> >> impossible.
> >>
> >> Granted that forbidding branch deletions isn't the only way to solve
> >> this problem; but it certainly goes a long way towards fixing it. Now
> >> it's up to *you* guys (i.e., every project at the ASF that uses Git
> >> repos) to come up with a workflow that allows branch deletions but
> >> doesn't lose the ability to audit the source; forbidding squashed merges
> >> would probably do it, but I'm sure there are other ways.
> > That sounds like tossing the problem from one side of the fence to another.
> > PMC should be in control of the project IP and all other paraphernalia. PMC is
> > responsible before the board for this type if policy commotions. I am not trying
> > to dismiss the importance of the paper-trail for IP-related issues. All I am
> > saying that disabling a perfectly valid functionality because there's a chance
> > of somebody misusing it, is like UK prohibiting the sales of the butter-knives
> > to the under aged: ludicrous at best.
>
> You'll note that the board told Infra to do this as a stopgap to prevent
> "responsible PMCs" from further messing up our IP provenance. Clearly,
> some PMCs are not responsible. It's painful that the restriction hurt
> all PMCs.
>
> Instead of complaining to me, it'd be far more useful to work with those

I am not really complaining, but having an interesting (to me at least)
exchane of opinions ;)

Cos

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.
On 24.11.2015 05:53, Branko Čibej wrote:
> Instead of complaining to me, it'd be far more useful to work with those
> other PMCs to produce a set of rules for using Git -- *not* a single
> blessed workflow -- that prevent losing important information about the
> code base. Ideally, the rules would be easily implemented as checks in
> Git hooks. The idea being to prevent mistakes, not to constrain developers.

On the topic of hooks: Subversion allows changes to revision properties
(not by default of course) that would be quite inappropriate; for
example, you could, theoretically, change the name of the author of a
commit. At the ASF we have a specific hook to allow changing log
messages, but none of the other revision properties; and the commit
mailer sends diffs of changed log messages to the project's mailing list.

This is an example of the sort of rule I'm talking about: it does not
impose any particular workflow; it allows changing log messages and
provides a permanent audit trail (in list archives); it does not allow
changing commit date, author, etc., because those would be obvious mistakes.

(And FWIW: Yes, Subversion has a design bug in not maintaining an
archive of previous values of revision properties to provide that audit
trail.)

-- Brane

Re: Branch deletion prohibited

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:02PM, Raul Kripalani wrote:
> Hi Brane,
>
> I hadn't joined the project back then, so I don't know the history, but my
> guess is that the loss of traceability might have occurred as a result of
> importing the code from an external repository. I don't see why they could
> be attributed to branch deletion – probably I'm not feeling creative enough
> today ;-)
>
> The current prohibition seems to be temporary. There's was fragility in the
> current scenario – since any committer could delete any Git head from the
> repo, including fundamental ones which should be protected by all means:
> master, develop, maintenance streams, etc. So if a dev accidentally deleted
> master, and you were unlucky enough that the Git server decided to run gc
> between then and the time you tried to recover from reflog, you could be
> pretty screwed. Well – not so much, because presumably other devs would be
> having local copies of master and could re-push them. But it's still a
> hardcore vulnerability!
>
> In Ignite, the branches we create to implement JIRA issues originate from
> our ASF Git repo itself, so traceability is feasible at all times. A
> different story would be to pull from a remote repo (Github – this could be
> problematic in terms of IP) into the ASF. In my opinion, Board does need to
> regulate that, because using GH for pull requests may lead to some dubious
> situations with regards to IP. (I can elaborate if you guys are interested
> to discuss).

As far as I see, direct pulls from other repos isn't usually a case. Even if
one has two remotes - one for ASF git & another for GH - and cherry-pick a
commit from GH to ASF, it is traceable by the virtue of associated JIRA
tickets, etc. So, yes - while a potential pain in the butt - a solvable
situation.

Cos

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 08:03PM, Raul Kripalani wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:13 AM, Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Thanks! I already have sent email to the board where this discussion is
> > going
> > right now. Hopefully, this ban will be lifted soon.
> >

> Nice, thanks, Cos! Please keep us informed of their progress on protecting
> branches. Maybe repos could have a special branch: .protection with a file
> protected_branches.txt, where the project lists which heads should be
> protected. The Git server would need a hook to check whether a given branch
> deletion is permitted or not, based on that file.

Going into extreme here, if the file is hosted in the repo itself, then an
attacker can modify it and then wipe out some branches, if desired. Perhaps,
forbidding all tags and branches with keyword release in them might solve the
issue. Will see.

Cos

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
Cos,

I believe this is the ticket:

Posted by Konstantin Boudnik <co...@apache.org>.
Raul

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.

Posted by Semyon Boikov <sb...@gridgain.com>.
+1

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
Exactly. Let's wait for Infra's feedback on why that restriction and when
it'll be lifted.

Re: Branch deletion prohibited

Posted by Vladimir Ozerov <vo...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
Lads,

Posted by Pavel Tupitsyn <pt...@gridgain.com>.

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 1:19 AM, Raul Kripalani <ra...@evosent.com> wrote:

> As I said: "Pull requests make sense when outsiders want to make
> contributions."
>
> Committers with write access to ASF Git have no reason to develop
> in Github.

Raul, given that we cannot delete branches, I think we should very closely
look at the GitHub PRs even for committers. Many committers prefer Github
PR process instead of submitting patches.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@evosent.com>.

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@apache.org>.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@evosent.com>.
I disagree.

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@apache.org>.
So branch deletion is disabled on purpose?

Posted by Artem Shutak <as...@gridgain.com>.
Dmitriy,

Posted by Dmitriy Setrakyan <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yakov Zhdanov <yz...@gridgain.com>.