Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Richard Shea <ri...@fastmail.fm> on 2009/04/17 02:20:08 UTC

1.4 -> 1.6 via binaries on Windows

Hi - I've got an existing 1.4.x installation on windows using SVNSERVE
(no Apache involved) which I want to upgrade to 1.6.x.

I've downloaded svn-win32-1.6.1.zip.

RE: 1.4 -> 1.6 via binaries on Windows

Posted by Bob Archer <bo...@amsi.com>.
> within that

I use the collabnet windows binaries which include an installer. You can
find them here:

http://www.collab.net/downloads/subversion/

You will have to register for a free account to get them. But, they
don't spam you in any way... they only send an email when you d/l the
binaries.

BOb

Re: 1.4 -> 1.6 via binaries on Windows

Posted by Richard Shea <ri...@fastmail.fm>.
On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 07:52:37 -0400, "Duncan Murdoch"
<mu...@stats.uwo.ca> said:
> On 4/17/2009 7:39 AM, Richard Shea wrote:
> > On Fri, 17 Apr 2009 06:26:54 -0400, "Duncan Murdoch"
> > <mu...@stats.uwo.ca> said:

> >> I wouldn't delete that, just rename it to Subversion14 or something.
> >> You may find you want to go back to 1.4.  (Back up your working copies
> >> and repositories first:  1.4 won't be able to work with a working copy
> >> after 1.6 has touched it.  The repository won't be upgraded
> >> automatically, but you might choose to do so.)
> >>
> > That's great - thanks for the advice. Would you just clarify something
> > you said there ....
> >> ...........................The repository won't be upgraded
> >> automatically, but you might choose to do so.)
> >
> > I'm not sure whether you're saying it's a good idea to do some sort of
> > manual upgrade of the repos ... but you see to suggest this isn't
> > necessary ? Could you expand please ?
>
> The repository has new features.  svn 1.6.x can work with the old
> repository, but it won't be able to use those features.  (For the list
> of what they are, see the release notes online.)  If you want to use
> them, you need to upgrade the repository:  but then 1.4 version tools
> won't be able to work with it.  (I believe 1.4 client side tools will
> still be fine, as long as they are working with a 1.4 working copy, but
> check online.)

OK great - I understand now I am interested in those features but I will
backup first ! - thanks for all your help.

regards

Richard.

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.

Posted by Richard Shea <ri...@fastmail.fm>.
<mu...@stats.uwo.ca> said:
> Richard Shea wrote:
> > Hi - I've got an existing 1.4.x installation on windows using SVNSERVE
> > (no Apache involved) which I want to upgrade to 1.6.x.
> >
> > I've downloaded svn-win32-1.6.1.zip.
> >
> > >From various things I'd read I expected to find an installer within that
> > ZIP but there isn't one (or if there I can't find it).
> >
> > As my current installation is at E:\bin\installed\SVN\Subversion I'm
> > guessing the best approach (after stopping all SVNSERVE sessions) is to
> > delete the contents of that directory and to unzip svn-win32-1.6.1.zip
> > into that directory. I'd really just like some confirmation that this is
> > what I should do - I can't find it written down anywhere what you should
> > do when upgrading via binaries.
> >

> I wouldn't delete that, just rename it to Subversion14 or something.
> You may find you want to go back to 1.4.  (Back up your working copies
> and repositories first:  1.4 won't be able to work with a working copy
> after 1.6 has touched it.  The repository won't be upgraded
> automatically, but you might choose to do so.)

That's great - thanks for the advice. Would you just clarify something
you said there ....
> ...........................The repository won't be upgraded
> automatically, but you might choose to do so.)

I'm not sure whether you're saying it's a good idea to do some sort of
manual upgrade of the repos ... but you see to suggest this isn't
necessary ? Could you expand please ?

thanks

richard

Posted by Duncan Murdoch <mu...@stats.uwo.ca>.