Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/10 10:58:58 UTC

What is needed to release Tools 2.0?

Hi all!
I noticed that Velocity 2.0 is still at snapshot level, it seems a lot of
time to me :-)
So I would like to ask: What's missing to release it?

I took a look at the issues scheduled for 2.0:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310130&fixfor=12312884
I noticed that they are two:
* there is a pure documentation issue, that seems fixed (with the exception
of some alcohol-driven comments :-D )
* the other is an issue that is really easily fixed with Maven with the
release plugin.

Moreover this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELTOOLS-65
seems driven from prejudice against Maven, and the comment was from 2006, a
lot of things have changed.

I think that the Maven move is easy, knowing what needs to be done. Since
the Ant build files are pretty big, I did not go too deep reading them. What
do they do?
I noticed that they:
* compile
* test
* make packages
Is there anything else?

The only *small* problem is with the tests. I managed to execute tests under
Maven, see:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELTOOLS-122
There is only *one* test that I am not able to execute, since it needs a
container, i.e. it is an integration test and it needs, essentially, a web
project (correct me if I am wrong).
Is it the case to exclude the Maven path for merely a single *integration*
test?

Thanks for your attention
Antonio

Re: What is needed to release Tools 2.0?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2009/10/14 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
> that is really cool.  any idea how they got that set up?  do you have
> this for Tiles?

No, and I have no idea how to do it. Why don't you ask the Maven team,
or the Infra team?

Thanks

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
that is really cool.  any idea how they got that set up?  do you have
this for Tiles?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
Just another thing.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> is there a way to do that with Maven?  or could we just have Maven
>>> drive the Ant task for it?
>>
>> Maven, with the Cargo plugin, can do it, but there is the need for a
>> separate module containing the web application.
>
> I noticed that, in fact, the ViewToolsTests class tests Velocity Tools
> using the showcase webapp, so it's testing the Showcase functionality.
> This test, then, can be moved into the showcase, when even these
> examples are mavenized.

Yeah, that would make sense.

Re: What is needed to release Tools 2.0?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.

http://www.jdocs.com/

>>> Ok a functional test then. It still needs a container.
>>
>> is there a way to do that with Maven?  or could we just have Maven
>> drive the Ant task for it?
>
> Maven, with the Cargo plugin, can do it, but there is the need for a
> separate module containing the web application.

Separate from the example apps? Or just from the main artifact(s).
This is one of the "maven mysteries" to me: what would be the "Maven
way" to organize our three overlapping jars and 3 example apps and
conjoined documentation?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2009/10/15 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>> What is "jdoc" BTW?
>
> Google can tell, but it is ultimately unimportant, IMO.

Just curious, I really cannot find anything related to Java, only one
link related to Joomla, but it does not seem right.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/10/14 Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>:
>>> I think that the Maven move is easy, knowing what needs to be done. Since
>>> the Ant build files are pretty big, I did not go too deep reading them. What
>>> do they do?
>>> I noticed that they:
>>> * compile
>>> * test
>>> * make packages
>>> Is there anything else?
>>
>> download dependencies,
>> build examples, javadoc, jdoc, website, all three jars/artifacts
>> build releases, upload releases and website stuff, and provide
>> instructions that accompany both processes
>> and most of all, they haven't become a massive pain point for the community yet.
>
> Almost all these things can be done by Maven plugins.

cool.

> However, the site should be generated by some Ant task, or the site
> should be converted to Maven style (Doxia formats), that seems a lot
> of work.

yeah, not likely to happen with our current dev community.

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Antonio Petrelli
<an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
> I noticed that Velocity 2.0 is still at snapshot level, it seems a lot of
> time to me :-)

yes, it is a long time. :(  but we have had 4 beta releases, not just snapshots.

> So I would like to ask: What's missing to release it?
>
> I took a look at the issues scheduled for 2.0:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&mode=hide&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=priority&resolution=-1&pid=12310130&fixfor=12312884
> I noticed that they are two:
> * there is a pure documentation issue, that seems fixed (with the exception
> of some alcohol-driven comments :-D )
> * the other is an issue that is really easily fixed with Maven with the
> release plugin.

yeah, documentation is/was the main holdup.  some Maven improvement
would be great too.  i would love to see a little more doc completion,
and i've really been hoping someone else would jump in and help with
such things.  but i'm kidding myself, i realize.  it's probably time
to just wrap up a few ends and release it.

mostly, i have lacked time for OSS admin stuff at work or the right
combo of idle personal time and motivation to wrap things up.  i'm
swamped in javascript and new products at work right now.  my boss
gave the ok to use betas of Velocity and friends, which really
undercut my justification for doing the admin & doc work needed for a
final release on company time.

> Moreover this issue:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELTOOLS-65
> seems driven from prejudice against Maven, and the comment was from 2006, a
> lot of things have changed.

my level of Maven expertise has only minimally improved since then.  i
won't support leaving the Ant build until either:  a) i am confident
Maven mavens will be available to help at all key times, or b) i feel
confident that i am a Maven maven.  i supported Henning in moving the
main Velocity website over to Maven, only to have that become a
massive pain point for the project.  and that has yet to be resolved.
we are still ultimately reliant upon Henning to pull the trigger for
site updates.   i don't think i'll feel like a) or b) have happened
until that is resolved, at a minimum.

> I think that the Maven move is easy, knowing what needs to be done. Since
> the Ant build files are pretty big, I did not go too deep reading them. What
> do they do?
> I noticed that they:
> * compile
> * test
> * make packages
> Is there anything else?

download dependencies,
build examples, javadoc, jdoc, website, all three jars/artifacts
build releases, upload releases and website stuff, and provide
instructions that accompany both processes
and most of all, they haven't become a massive pain point for the community yet.

i'm always happy to have help learning and improving the Maven build,
seriously, it's a great thing.  it does seem like less work in the
long run.  so, i'm sorry i've been so slow to work on VELOCITY-122.
my brain is just in a lot of other places these days.  i'm trying to
make some time today for it.