Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Jennifer Kesterson <Je...@jpl.nasa.gov> on 2005/11/02 02:05:16 UTC

svn_load_dirs.pl -- a new question

Hi again,

I successfully ran the script (thanks everyone for your help) and now there
is a new issue.  If dir1 contains sub-directories a, b, c, d, e, and dir2
contains only c and d, the script will delete a, b, and e from the
repository when it is loading dir2.  In this case I don't want that to
happen because we want to keep a, b, and e as part of the baseline from
which we will continue development.

What I want to happen is this:

Add dir1 (including a, b, c, d, e)
Add dir2 (just update c and d)
Add dir3 (just update c and d again)

Is there a simple way to modify the script to remove the delete of the
files not included in subsequent directories, or should I just copy the
deleted rev back into the repo?  What is the best and surest way to do this?

Thanks,
Jen

Re: svn_load_dirs.pl -- a new question

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Nov 3, 2005, at 16:20, Jennifer Kesterson wrote:

> I successfully ran the script (thanks everyone for your help) and
> now there is a new issue.  If dir1 contains sub-directories a, b,
> c, d, e, and dir2 contains only c and d, the script will delete a,
> b, and e from the repository when it is loading dir2.  In this case
> I don't want that to happen because we want to keep a, b, and e as
> part of the baseline from which we will continue development.
>
> What I want to happen is this:
>
> Add dir1 (including a, b, c, d, e)
> Add dir2 (just update c and d)
> Add dir3 (just update c and d again)
>
> Is there a simple way to modify the script to remove the delete of
> the files not included in subsequent directories, or should I just
> copy the deleted rev back into the repo?  What is the best and
> surest way to do this?

svn_load_dirs is designed to load a number of complete releases of a
project. It sounds like what you have are not complete releases, but
only partials.

I've never looked into the svn_load_dirs source code so I don't know
how difficult it would be to modify it.

I don't know how complex your project structure is, but is it
feasible to convert your directories into full releases before
running svn_load_dirs? Following your example above, is it possible
to copy a, b and e from dir1 into dir2 and dir3 before importing dir2
and dir3?

Re: svn_load_dirs.pl -- a new question

Posted by Jennifer Kesterson <Je...@jpl.nasa.gov>.
>Hi again,
>
>I successfully ran the script (thanks everyone for your help) and now
>there is a new issue.  If dir1 contains sub-directories a, b, c, d, e, and
>dir2 contains only c and d, the script will delete a, b, and e from the
>repository when it is loading dir2.  In this case I don't want that to
>happen because we want to keep a, b, and e as part of the baseline from
>which we will continue development.
>
>What I want to happen is this:
>
>Add dir1 (including a, b, c, d, e)
>Add dir2 (just update c and d)
>Add dir3 (just update c and d again)
>
>Is there a simple way to modify the script to remove the delete of the
>files not included in subsequent directories, or should I just copy the
>deleted rev back into the repo?  What is the best and surest way to do this?
>
>Thanks,
>Jen

Can anyone help me? :-)