Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Roth <Ma...@Sun.COM> on 2003/12/17 18:57:50 UTC

Important information about jakarta-servletapi-*

Hi everyone,

I've seen a few requests to fix items in the jakarta-servletapi-*
workspaces and wanted to clear up any confusion there might be.

Changes to examples in these workspaces are fine.

However, ANY changes to the core APIs (including even simple javadocs
changes) CANNOT be done outside of the JCP process.  This applies to
both Servlet and JSP APIs.

To make any changes to these APIs, you must propose the change through
the spec aliases, which appear on the front covers of the corresponding
specifications:

     Servlet: servletapi-feedback@eng.sun.com
     JSP:     jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com

Your change request will be considered by the specification leads and
potentially debated by the expert group.  Changes to the APIs can only
be done in a maintenance release of the specification, or in the next
revision of the specification.  The Servlet 2.4 and JSP 2.0
specifications have both been finalized for this release of Tomcat and
are very unlikely to change in any substantial way until the next release.

Please understand that Tomcat is only one of many containers that are
implementing the Servlet and JSP specifications, and the APIs must match
identically on all containers.

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions on this
matter.

Thank you for your cooperation.

---
Mark Roth, Java Software
JSP 2.0 Co-Specification Lead
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

Re: Important information about jakarta-servletapi-*

Posted by Mark Roth <Ma...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Tim,

Tim Funk wrote:
> Does this mean that any bug submitted with a criticism (or patch)
> against jakarta-servletapi-* can be marked as WONTFIX with a advisory
> for the requestor to notify servletapi-feedback@eng.sun.com or
> jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com ? (I know there is at least one bug in
> this category)

If the bug fix results in a change to the externally-visible portions of
an API class (javax.*), the change MUST go through the JCP.  The best
way to get such an issue considered is through the mail aliases I
mentioned in the previous email.

Fixing bugs in the implementation of such classes resulting in NO change
to the external interface (e.g. signature of public/protected methods or
javadocs) is okay.

Additions, removals and changes to other portions of this workspace,
such as the sample applications, are entirely okay.

I'll leave it up to the Tomcat team to decide how to handle the
paperwork (e.g. whether to mark bugs as WONTFIX or not).  Your
suggestion sounds reasonable to me.

It's probably a good idea to outline these rules in a README.txt file in
the workspace as well.

Hope this helps.

---

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Does this mean that any bug submitted with a criticism (or patch) against
jakarta-servletapi-* can be marked as WONTFIX with a advisory for the
requestor to notify servletapi-feedback@eng.sun.com or
jsp-spec-comments@eng.sun.com ? (I know there is at least one bug in this
category)

-Tim