Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Gregg D Bolinger <gt...@gmail.com> on 2005/02/25 18:14:54 UTC

Commited to Tapestry

After several months of testing most of the availble web app
frameworks I've decided to commit to Tapestry for my current project.
Developing some PROCs using other frameworks was very interesting.

I am a big fan of JSF however, I think it needs some serious work and
waiting for Sun to release new versions of their products, well, I
don't have that kind of time and I don't want to fill my project with
"workarounds".

Struts - I've never really liked struts.  I would have prefered
WebWork to Struts but their docs are someone lacking/out-dated and it
was difficult to get help.

Spring - There is just too much there for me to try and digest.  I
would have used their DAO layer since I am using hibernate also but
their API doesn't work with Hibernate 3 yet and again, I don't want to
halt my project because of it.  Plus, their web framework API is still
too Struts/WebWork like.

Tapestry is about the only framework I have found that seems complete.
 Like I said, I like JSF because of it's component based architecture,
which is why I like tapestry.  Plus, Tapestry seems like it is under
constant development.

Now, finally, to my question.  I just downloaded Tapestry 3.  I have
Tapestry In Action.  Is there anything significantly different in 3
where if I try something in TIA it just won't work and I'll end up
beating my head on the wall.  Also, is there an Addendum of sorts
online that lists these differences?

Thanks.

Gregg Bolinger

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by Michael Henderson <mh...@mac.com>.
Hi,
     I agree, with Greg, have a core, shipping with Tapestry and keep
extras in contrib, let others develop component libraries, perhaps
offering a migration path into contrib (voting?, rating?).

One thing I have noticed using Spindle and the Palette is that many of
the components in core and contrib are missing descriptions in the
specifications and some components are missing from the online
component reference. Perhaps we could organize a volunteer effort to
cover this part of Tapestry, keeping component documentation up to date
(including info on CSS classes used in components). The work would be
minimal if parceled out by component.

I'm currently refactoring the palette plugin to support more types of
information in the component browser, I'm aiming for a new folder in
the browser with a listing of component libraries available on the net
which can be downloaded from within Eclipse and automatically added to
project dependencies.  The palette will provide links to the library
home page and component reference documentation. I hope this feature
will help new Tapestry users to gain access to these components and
provide a spur to new component publication.

Mike

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by João Paulo Vasconcellos <va...@gmail.com>.
> I would suggest you have a look at the ASP.NET components and how Visual
> Studio.NET allows component placement and property setting in a page. The
> only successful web-based component framework out there, like it or not is
> asp.net. JSF isn't even remotely near asp.net.

It's not. Visual Stuido is built over the base costructed by
WebObjects and Weblogics Workshop. Many of the new features .Net
developers are praising were avaliable in weblogics for a year or so.
And the ability to drag and drop class properties and link it to html
components in WebObjects is there for years now.

Of course, by successful in this context, I understand that you mean a
tool that greatly increases the productivity when using it. If by
successful you understand the most marketed and widely used, I must
agree with you about .Net. I just wanted to let my 2 cents to show
that Visual Studio is anything but original and those concepts are
there for years.

--
João Paulo Vasconcellos
MSN: vasconcellos@gmail.com

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by John Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com>.
I created a project at java.net that is focused on examples on how to
use components.

https://tapestrywebcomponentexamples.dev.java.net/

Posted by Jin Lee <ji...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 18:38:24 -0500, kranga <kr...@k2d2.org> wrote:
> I think the importance of good doc is also being played down. The user guide
> on the website - the first thing any newbie wants to read is out of date.
> The mailing list archive is not searchable. I would like to fix the search
> on the mailing list. But I don't know how. Contrary to what's been
> mentioned, I think it is far more convenient to read online doc and find an
> answer than have a post and hope someone answers.

I think that Howard somewhat wants users to go for his book for a
complete documentation - I think is a very fair given the amount of
work he has put there -. I'd rather say that the documentation is
confusing if you need to do something precise, it is hard to know
where to look... Maybe the project website should be reorganized like
log4j: call "TApestry in Action" the commercial and complete
documentation and rename the current docs "short documentation" and
provide faq and api. But the excellent tapestry tutorial should be
high in the list of links. That tutorial convinced me to go for
tapestry rather than other technologies.

The mailing list absolutly should be searcheable. I don't get why
apache can't provide a search feature for all the mailing lists.

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by kranga <kr...@k2d2.org>.

Posted by John Reynolds <jo...@gmail.com>.
I can sort of understand (even though I don't agree) keeping Tapestry
lean and mean.... but how about making Contrib a formal sub-project
with it's own Agenda, Roadmap, etc.?

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gregg D Bolinger <gt...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Massimo <ml...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 08:30:54 -0500, Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well over two years ago, I designed the namespace and library
> mechanisms for Tapestry to support a component bazaar, with the hopes
> that many powerful, fun, DHTML components would pop up.  Only Tapestry
> really provides the necessary infrastructure to support this level of
> sophistication.
>
> Outside of DatePicker, Table and Tree, it largely hasn't happened.
> Why?  I was working on the book (the documentation everyone keeps
> claiming is missing), then trying to earn a living.  My strengths are
> not on the HTML/DHTML side, so I'm focusing on making Tapestry even
> simpler and more approachable ... and vastly more powerful.

Couldn't it be cause there are more java developers here in the
community then HTML/DHTML ones ?
I think Tapestry is more loved by java programmers other then web
designers so it's natural to not have rich component from a HTML/DHTML
point of view, beside that there's the point that almost all web
app/site are different each one from the others and building rich html
components is not enough to save your time from having to touch the
style of your components next time you use it in a different app.
I see components as a "good stuff TM" in small projects if they can
represent typical small html objects and in big projects when they can
make your life easier developing complex part of the webapp (even if
you cannot completly reutilize then in other projects)

Don't come up on me, i love the idea of  web components and that's my
all interest within Tapestry (and BarracudaMVC before), but honestly i
would like to hear from anyone who really build a HTML/DHTML rich
components and have had it used in more then one big projects.

How much of the components developed within TSS could be reused in a
different site ?

> Further, I've been consistently told that "the Portlet train is
> leaving and soon".  IBM is expected to bet thier stake in enterprise
> Java on Portlets.  For many people, THE key feature of 3.1 will be
> Portlet support.

You're absolutely right!

Right, even if i think Tapestry as almost any kind of components it
can/should deserve.

> - Good documentation IS available.

You mean "Tapestry in Action" and User Guide ?

> - 3.1 raises the technology bar (against JSF) considerably.

I'll try to keep in touch with 3.1 development while trying to learn
more about 3.0 as soon as i can get

> - Portlet support in 3.1 is very important.

Absolutely, coupled with tapestry capabilities in terms of components
i can't imagine how far it can get...

--
Massimo

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by Christian <ch...@bluepenguin.ch>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

>- Want more components?  Write some! Contribute some!

Might it be that there indeed are a bunch of Tapestry-components, but
those are not allowed to leave the intranet-boundary in which they reside?

On another note, I also like the idea (written someplace else) to have a
place to simply upload components, and have a mechanism to promote
(voting) good components in order to make them more official, be it
tacos, contrib, whatever...

>- Portlet support in 3.1 is very important.

I think that support for the main implementations of JSR 168 is crucial.
There is enormous movement in the industry. The portal stuff is, imho,
still on the rising side of the "technology hype curve" (see e.g.
http://www.ayeconference.com/wiki/scribble.cgi?read=HypeCycle). So while
there will come a time of disillusions regarding portlets/portals, it is
still wise to be there already when things settle down, marketing
divisions move to the next pile of food...

Re: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by Jonathan Millett <jo...@millett.net>.
Howard Lewis Ship wrote:

>I think you need to reflect on how open source projects work.  It's
>not a company, there's no ordering of people around.  If people don't
>have the time, or the interest, to work on things ... they don't.  I
>have a personal stake in Tapestry and drive myself pretty hard. I
>would also estimate that I've invested about $200,000 in Tapestry (in
>the form of lost wages spent on R&D).

Thank you Howard for everything.
You investment CLEARLY shows and is a SHINING example.

>>- There is a dire need to get up-to-date documentation. Open-source has
>>become a synonym for poor-documentation. A framework will gain a lot of use
>>if documentation is uptodate and comprehensive

Has it?
For me it has become a synonym for a vibrant user community where the
members help each other.
This list is a tremendous documentation resource and learning tool.
I am grateful for everyone's contributions.

Jon

RE: Tapestry: 3.1 vs. more components

Posted by David Leangen <dl...@canada.com>.
Very well said, Howard.

I have only been around for a few weeks, but it is very clear the huge
investment that you've put into the project. The amount you mention below
does not seem to be an exaggeration at all.

I must commend you for all your great work!!

Cheers,
Dave

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.

Re: Commited to Tapestry

Posted by Henri Dupre <he...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:42:17 -0500, Benjamin Tomasini
<bt...@neteverything.com> wrote:
> Sounds like an itch to be scratched.  Perhaps someone needs to put
> effort into documentation, and perhaps Tapestry would benefit by more
> user contributed components.

I'd be interested to know what kind and what categories of components
would users be interested in! In my current project, I'm doing very
fine with all Tapestry built-in components and I wrote several
components which are very specific to our application. But I did not
feel any need for more components. Maybe the situation is different
for intranet applications?

Also tapestry in action is a very impressive and well written
documentation of the framework. I still think it should be called the
"commercial complete documentation".

Fwd: Commited to Tapestry

Posted by Gregg D Bolinger <gt...@gmail.com>.
Somehow when I hit reply this just went to Benjamin.  So here it is
for everyone.

Posted by Benjamin Tomasini <bt...@neteverything.com>.
Sounds like an itch to be scratched.  Perhaps someone needs to put
effort into documentation, and perhaps Tapestry would benefit by more
user contributed components.  These sound like great opportunities for
extra participation from the community.  That doesn't mean that 3.1
should be slowed.  I would suggest just the opposite.

My two cents...

I like Tapestry because it has a road map of constant improvement and
future (deep) refactorings.  It just seems like the nature of how things
are done.  This is a good thing, and I don't want to see the core
developers here (Howard in particular) slowed down writing documentation
on more legacy features.

I don't know that Howard could ever write enough documentation to
satisfy everyone.  If he tried, we would doubtful have the product we
have today.

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 21:05, kranga wrote:
> With all due respect, I think the focus on Tapestry 3.1 is not in the best
> interest of the user community. I think -
>
> - There is a dire need to get up-to-date documentation. Open-source has
> become a synonym for poor-documentation. A framework will gain a lot of use
> if documentation is uptodate and comprehensive
> - The focus should be on components components and components. I've been
> working on a table component myself that I plan to contribute in the
> upcoming months that I believe is far more feature rich than the palette.
> Tapestry needs to look at the asp.net component marketplace and compete
> against that.
>
> My inflation adjusted 17 cents

Benjamin Tomasini
NetEverything, Inc.
1-877-270-1391

Re: Commited to Tapestry

Re: Commited to Tapestry

Posted by Howard Lewis Ship <hl...@gmail.com>.
Tapestry in Action covers Tapestry 3.0.  There have been minor changes
between 3.0 and 3.0.2.

Tapestry 3.1 ... that's a whole new kettle of fish.  The broad outline
is the same, but the details are much changed (and changing!).  But an
upgrade document is definately part of the process (the start of which
is already there).

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 11:14:54 -0600, Gregg D Bolinger <gt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> After several months of testing most of the availble web app
> frameworks I've decided to commit to Tapestry for my current project.
> Developing some PROCs using other frameworks was very interesting.
>
> I am a big fan of JSF however, I think it needs some serious work and
> waiting for Sun to release new versions of their products, well, I
> don't have that kind of time and I don't want to fill my project with
> "workarounds".
>
> Struts - I've never really liked struts.  I would have prefered
> WebWork to Struts but their docs are someone lacking/out-dated and it
> was difficult to get help.
>
> Spring - There is just too much there for me to try and digest.  I
> would have used their DAO layer since I am using hibernate also but
> their API doesn't work with Hibernate 3 yet and again, I don't want to
> halt my project because of it.  Plus, their web framework API is still
> too Struts/WebWork like.
>
> Tapestry is about the only framework I have found that seems complete.
>  Like I said, I like JSF because of it's component based architecture,
> which is why I like tapestry.  Plus, Tapestry seems like it is under
> constant development.
>
> Now, finally, to my question.  I just downloaded Tapestry 3.  I have
> Tapestry In Action.  Is there anything significantly different in 3
> where if I try something in TIA it just won't work and I'll end up
> beating my head on the wall.  Also, is there an Addendum of sorts
> online that lists these differences?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gregg Bolinger

Howard M. Lewis Ship