Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2012/09/19 11:54:43 UTC

Any blockers? was Re: [VOTE] HttpComponents Core 4.2.2 release based on RC2

Folks

We need to release a fix for a fairly major bug. Can we focus on the
release vote and only deal with release blockers for now? Non-release
blockers can be dealt with in separate threads.

@Gary

(*) Http benchmark module is not distributed as an official binary
artifact. It is distributed 'as is' in source only. We do not publish
its javadocs anywhere. Most probably the module is not even supposed to
have javadocs. I would like to move micro-benchmarks from HttpCore and
HttpClient to a separate module. I just never got around to doing it.

(*) Generally patch releases (x.y.<release>) should have no API changes
of what so ever. This is the reason why binary compatibility is checked
against the latest feature release (x.<release>.0). This allows us to
spot those changes by running clirr check in verbose mode. I personally
would have no problem changing this practice and testing against the
latest release from the same branch.

(*) Clover plugin has always been very finicky for me. I suspect this is
a compatibility issue with Maven 3. I personally still use Maven 2 for
all official releases. Will probably move to Maven 3 for 4.3 series,
though.

@Sebastian

I switched from RC1 to RC2 with 'svn sw' which caused only files mutated
between those two revisions to get updated locally. The issue is that
there should be no keywords in our source code. But I do not see this as
a release blocker.

Oleg