Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org> on 2000/01/18 17:23:07 UTC

[Announcement] Cocoon 1.6

Hi,

the Cocoon team on behalf of the Apache XML Project
(http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/) if very proud to announce the
availability of the 1.6 version of the Cocoon XML Publishing
Framework.

The Cocoon project wishes to thank Exoffice Technologies
(http://www.exolab.org/) for donating the XSP engine implementation and
supporting our project with such good code, ideas and resources.

This version incorporates many new features and it's the first release
since the creation of the Apache XML Project. New features include:

- support for Apache Xerces-j and Sun ProjectX (for XML parsing)
- support for Apache Xalan and James Clark's XT (for XSLT processing)
- support for Apache FOP (FO+SVG -> PDF generation)
- complete support for XSP compiled server pages
- documentation generated from XML using Apache Stylebook
- built using Jakarta Ant
- includes LDAP processor for direct LDAP -> XML generation
- includes samples for all possible static and dynamic uses (including
VoxML, WAP, VRML)

Cocoon has been reported to work on every servlet engine compatible with
the Servlet API specification, including Jakarta Tomcat.

Future major improvements will address:

- sitemap definition and implementation
- DOM vs. SAX evaluation on performance and scalability
- merge with stylebook

Come and get it :)

     http://xml.apache.org/dist/Cocoon-1.6.jar

Legal Note: "XSP" is a trademark of DataChannel which very kindly allows
us to use the term. Note, however, that the XSP specification and its
implementation were exclusively done by the listed XSP authors and
DataChannel has nothing to do with this particular technology. They just
happened to trademark the same name we used (as we found out later).

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.6

Posted by Kevin Kovach <kk...@goodyear.com>.
Very cool. You guys have done a great job. Thanks.

- Kevin

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.6 - any mirror?

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> > Strange. It might have been a (transparant) proxy en-route. I checked the
> > log and we did not give out the dreaded IIS 'Server too busy' error. Not
> > that
> > we could actually in any case.
> >
> > Dw
> >

> strange, i left GetRight to take it, and failed after several tens of
> retries... it said always: server busy...
> and it was so at least 30 min. ...
>
> there are restrictions on user-agents?

Yes, I believe there is. If you really want to use GetRight, change the
user-agent notation to a normal one.

> now, i remember i could not download by any means JServ couple months ago
> with GetRight, but a 'save target as' from explorer worked.

Jserv was hosted on another machine.

> now is working... at 0.3kbs :( - i think i'll kill my ISP

I know how that feels :)

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:

> Laurian Gridinoc wrote:
> >
> > strange, i left GetRight to take it, and failed after several tens of
> > retries... it said always: server busy...
> > and it was so at least 30 min. ...
> Send me a log of your getright (if you have one)... I can double check
> it with the logs on our side.... It's really weird..
> IMVHO your ISP is using a transparent proxy...

I've already done this. There seems to be an IIS based proxy in the way.
Apache does not even have the dreaded 'server to busy' error.

Dw.

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.6 - any mirror?

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> strange, i left GetRight to take it, and failed after several tens of
> retries... it said always: server busy...
> and it was so at least 30 min. ...
>
> there are restrictions on user-agents?
> now, i remember i could not download by any means JServ couple months ago
> with GetRight, but a 'save target as' from explorer worked.
>
> now is working... at 0.3kbs :( - i think i'll kill my ISP

Send me a log of your getright (if you have one)... I can double check
it with the logs on our side.... It's really weird..
IMVHO your ISP is using a transparent proxy...

	Pier

<ma...@betaversion.org>    <http://www.betaversion.org/~pier/>

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.6 - any mirror?

Posted by Laurian Gridinoc <do...@thedot.net>.
> Strange. It might have been a (transparant) proxy en-route. I checked the
> log and we did not give out the dreaded IIS 'Server too busy' error. Not
> that
> we could actually in any case.
>
> Dw

strange, i left GetRight to take it, and failed after several tens of
retries... it said always: server busy...
and it was so at least 30 min. ...

there are restrictions on user-agents?
now, i remember i could not download by any means JServ couple months ago
with GetRight, but a 'save target as' from explorer worked.

now is working... at 0.3kbs :( - i think i'll kill my ISP

thanks,

Laurian Gridinoc
Chief Technology Officer
thedot.net, Inc.
www.thedot.net
--
Hell is empty and all the devils are here.
  -- Shakespeare, "The Tempest"

Re: [Announcement] Cocoon 1.6 - any mirror?

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.

Posted by Pierpaolo Fumagalli <pi...@apache.org>.
Laurian Gridinoc wrote:

> > Come and get it :)
> > http://xml.apache.org/dist/Cocoon-1.6.jar
>
> this is painful - server busy...
> any mirror ???

Busy? That's strange... Anyway no mirrors (yet!)

Posted by Laurian Gridinoc <do...@thedot.net>.
this is painful - server busy...
any mirror ???