Posted to dev@ode.apache.org by Maciej Szefler <mb...@intalio.com> on 2006/08/14 17:34:30 UTC

NOTICE: trunk may be buggy this morning.

We are doing a merge of some changes this morning which may lead to an
buggy trunk for the next few hours.
-maciej

Re: NOTICE: trunk may be buggy this morning.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
Lance Waterman wrote:
> I am trying to understand expectations around how the ODE project
> plans to
> work. Based on past exchanges you made the following comment:
>
>>> I think the versioning changes will require an understanding of how the
>>> feature would be implemented -- a design reveiew. As for the scratch vs
>>> patch, scratch is called for when multiple developers are going to be
>>> involved in developing a feature.
>
> and Alex made the following comment:
>
>>> An idea: you could also create a temporary branch to make it easier to
>>> share, collaborate and merge/synchronize the code if you think the
>>> scope
>>> warrants it.
>
> Now I think I hear you saying that the interface is not stable and folks
> should not be surprised if it should change ( i.e. adding versioning )
> without notification/discussion and at some future point in time we may
> decide to lock it down.

Lance,

Just to be clear, I did not request that you create a separate branch.
In that earlier thread, you were saying that you would develop something
outside of the repository and commit it when completed.   I merely
suggested that you could work in a branch if you wanted to increase your
chances of collaboration/help/feedback before integration into the trunk.

At this point in time, I'm more in favor of a fluid (read: less formal)
development methodology.   A lot of pieces are still in flux and we're
trying to get to something working in order to allow people to start
using and contributing to Ode.   Apache projects typically favor working
code over grand ideas because this is how things actually get done.
This being said, nothing is set in stone so there's always an
opportunity to comment on what has been done and improve the code if it
doesn't suit your purposes.  Your feedback is important and I'm sure we
can work things out if you think we can improve (PM API or anything
else).  I actually like the fact that we get things quickly integrated
in the trunk since it allows for good measure and validation of the
various changes we're making.

Later on when things stabilize I agree changes to public interfaces
(incl. configuration and database schemas) should be discussed with the
community before they are effected.   This will be an important
"contract" with the community of users and developers who will most
likely want a smooth evolution of their environments.

cheers,
alex

Re: NOTICE: trunk may be buggy this morning.

Posted by Alex Boisvert <bo...@intalio.com>.
Maciej Szefler wrote:
> In general I'd prefer less discussion rather than more, applying the
> following rules:
>
> 1. deviations that get us closer to an established goal do not require
> discussion

Let's not forget that friendly courtesy notices are always appreciated :)

> 2. ditto for refactors / improvements of existing functionality

As long as test cases continue to work!  And bonus points are awarded
for new test cases covering new/existing functionality.

> 3. new core features where there may be disagreement as to the
> requirements require some discussion beforehand.
>
> 4. non-core features should not require discussion unless they are found
> be a nuisance or until it is determined that they are in fact core
> features.

I think there are some subtleties and nuances that can be applied here.
Without going into details let's just say that I believe more
communication is better than less communication... assuming, of course,
a good signal-to-noise ratio!

> All these are subjective of course. If something more rigid is called
> for then we might consider establishing ownership responsibilities for
> certain areas of the project so that we don't have to get bogged down in
> endless discussions. Of course there would always be recourse to
> democracy: if for example there is a big disagreement that cannot be
> worked out between someone working on the engine, and the API owner,
> then this nuclear option is always available.

I'd be interested to hear our mentors on this subject.

My understanding of the Apache meritocracy is that you don't really want
to assign "owners" to areas.  People who actually contribute, maintain
and support specific areas become owners as a matter of act, not
attribution.   In that sense, ownership is not an inherent right but
rather a privilege that is implicitly and temporarily granted based on
the work being done and its value to the community.    We should always
seek consensus but in difficult situations, actions speak louder than words.

cheers,
alex

Re: NOTICE: trunk may be buggy this morning.

Posted by Maciej Szefler <mb...@intalio.com>.
In general I'd prefer less discussion rather than more, applying the
following rules:

1. deviations that get us closer to an established goal do not require
discussion

2. ditto for refactors / improvements of existing functionality

3. new core features where there may be disagreement as to the
requirements require some discussion beforehand.

4. non-core features should not require discussion unless they are found
be a nuisance or until it is determined that they are in fact core
features.

Examples:
1. e.g. my tweaks to deployment
2. e.g. go through BpelServerImpl and fix the multi-threaded concurrency
issues
3. e.g. versioning, content api, business transactions, etc...
4. e.g. implement a debugging facility, support additional query
language, etc..

Posted by Lance Waterman <la...@gmail.com>.
Maciej,

Re: Proposed API change -- DAO

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.
Looks like an agreement. I'll create a Jira issue for this.

Re: Proposed API change -- DAO

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Proposed API change -- DAO

Posted by Lance Waterman <la...@gmail.com>.