Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Laurent Neiger <La...@grenoble.cnrs.fr> on 2007/01/18 14:41:01 UTC

Exclude a domain and give up over a certain amount of points

Dear all,

I belong to the system and network team of grenoble.cnrs.fr, which is the
domain of a french public research center.

I will ask my question here at the top of my message for those of yours
who don't have much time (What ? All of you ?! ;-) ) and details and
configuration are given after.

Is it actually possible to exclude a domain to be checked by spamassassin ?
And except from some machines ?
Typically we would like emails coming from our domain grenoble.cnrs.fr,
when submitted to spamd, beeing recognized and accepted immediately
without parsing the rules, except if coming from xxx.grenoble.cnrs.fr or
yyy.grenoble.cnrs.fr, which must be checked as they are some kinds of
reflectors (a.k.a. list servers, etc.) and so could propagate spams.
In other words how could we add a new first rule which would say :
if from grenoble.cnrs.fr, exit immediately, except if from
xxx.grenoble.cnrs.fr
ou yyy.grenoble.cnrs.fr ?

And secondly, is it possible to configure spamd to give up parsing after
a certain amount of points ? I mean while attributing points to a message,
if reach 20 for example, stop processing rules and take time as from this
level we know it is spam and we don't care it reach 50 or 70 points !

Tiebreaker : if the above is not already possible, can you give us hints
to where in the spamassassin code we could add these tests ?

Many many thanks in advance !

Best regards,

Laurent.

==========

We operate an etch debian linux server :

root@srv1:~# uname -a
Linux srv1.grenoble.cnrs.fr 2.6.12-rc4-mm2-cric #1 SMP Mon Jun 6
14:36:41 CEST 2005 x86_64 GNU/Linux

owning (among others) postfix, qpopper and spamassassin.

Here is the version of our spamassassin :

root@srv1:~# dpkg -l | grep -i spamassassin
ii  spamassassin    3.1.7-1    Perl-based spam filter using text analysis
ii  spamc            3.1.7-1    Client for SpamAssassin spam filtering
daemon

running, as you can see, on the spamc/spamd mode.

spamd is running in daemon mode and spamc is activated by procmail while
delivering
in local (not launched by postfix but by procmail).

We receive a very huge amount of spam and spamassassin is really doing a
great job
in ratio filtering (e.g. 10-20 spams delivered for ~8000 received).

But we have a big problem of saturation, as our mailq is beeing filled
almost quicker than
it is flushed...
We have a huge amount of pending e-mails, waiting to be processed by
spamassassin :
for 100-200 in good days to over 10000 when beeing suffering a spam storm.

Our problem is a hard-disk access problem, not a memory nor cpu one. cpu
and memory
are not saturated, but concurential access to the disk seem to be the
problem.
A spam takes about 6-10 seconds to be processed and while one is
processed two more arrive...

Playing with setting does not work out in our context.
To be short we have tried use_bayes, use_dcc, use_pyzor, use_razor2 and
skip_rbl_checks
options with all the combinations to work out what was taking time, and
tried different numbers
of spamd children (5, 10 20, 25, 50) as cpu and memory are available on
our server.

None of these settings helped us.

What we see is for example if there is 1000 mails in our mailq, about
100 are outgoing emails
(temporarely error (SMTP 4XX) or greylisting from remote sites waiting
to be re-processed, etc.)
but the other ones are emails destinated to our domain grenoble.cnrs.fr
waiting for spamd children
to be available...
And into these ones, some are from our domain too.
That mean that when I'm sending an email to my colleague whose desk is 2
meters from mine,
sometimes he received it 15 minutes later !
We'd like to reduce the processing time at least for our local mails !

If the spams take 30 mn to be discarded, we don't mind, it is not
important. But for local mail
it is not really acceptable.

Once more may thanks for your help to the 2-3 questions at the start of
these mail,
and congratulations for the ones who have read it entirely !

Staying at your disposal,

Regards,

Laurent.

Re: Exclude a domain and give up over a certain amount of points

Posted by Ofloo <bu...@ofloo.net>.
I have come up with this

spamass-milter --help shows ..

   -i: skip (ignore) checks from these IPs or netblocks
          example: -i 192.168.12.5,10.0.0.0/8,172.16.0.0/255.255.0.0

also after looking for months for a solution, it was actually right in front
of me.. tho i was looking for a user specific exempt since, it was lagging
my mail submit forms, when using the function mail() in php.