Posted to user@hive.apache.org by Leo Alekseyev <dn...@gmail.com> on 2010/08/11 00:51:42 UTC

Lost old tables in hive metastore after installing a new version of hive

I built hive from SVN, and am running into the following issue: I
can't seem to access any of my old tables, that is, SHOW TABLES
doesn't return any entries.  I can create new tables, and they show up
in HDFS in /user/hive/warehouse alongside the old ones.  Likewise,
when I run the old version of hive, it doesn't see the tables created
with the new version.  It seems that the new and the old hive binary
are using two separate databases.  In hive-default.xml for both
versions I have
	<property>
	  <name>javax.jdo.option.ConnectionURL</name>
	  <value>jdbc:derby:;databaseName=metastore_db;create=true</value>

Can anyone tell me how to make the two versions of hive use the same
metastore database?... or at least how to import my old tables into
the metastore db for the new hive version?

Thanks,
--Leo

Re: Lost old tables in hive metastore after installing a new version of hive

Posted by yongqiang he <he...@gmail.com>.
You need to upgrade your metadata database in order to let the new
hive code work.

Here is the link:
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hive/IndexDev#Metastore_Upgrades