Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark Bennett <ma...@lucidworks.com> on 2013/03/04 22:52:47 UTC

Re: [ANN] vifun: tool to help visually tweak Solr boosting

Hello Xavier,

Thanks for uploading this and sharing.  I also read the other messages in the thread.

I'm able to get part way through your Getting Started section, I get results, but I get stuck on the editing values.  I've tried with Java 6 and 7, with both the 0.5 binary and from the source distribution.

What's working:
* Default Solr 4.1 install  (plus a couple extra fields in schema)
* Able to connect to Solr (/collection1)
* Able to select handler (/select)
* Able to run a search:
  q=bandwidth
  rows=10
  fl=title
  rest: pt=45.15,-93.85 (per your example)
* Get 2 search results with titles
* Able to select a result, mouse over, highlight score, etc.

However, what I'm stuck on:
* Below the Run Query button, I only see the grayed out Scoring slider.
* The instructions say to highlight some numbers
  - I tried highlighting the 10 in rows paramour
  - I also tried the 45.15 in "rest", and some of the scores in the results list

I never see the extra parameters you show in this screen shot:
	https://raw.github.com/jmlucjav/vifun/master/img/screenshot-selecttarget.jpg
I see the word "Scoring:"
I don't see the blue text "Select a number as a target to tweak"
I don't see the parameters qf, bf_0, 1, 2, bq_0, etc.

I'm not sure how to get those extra fields to appear in the UI.

I also tried adding defType=edismax, no luck

The Handlers it sees:
	/select, /query, /browse, /spell, /tvrh, /clustering, /terms, /elevate
	(from default Solr 4.1 solrconfig.xml)
	I'm using /select

--
Mark Bennett / LucidWorks: Search & Big Data / mark.bennett@lucidworks.com
Office: 408-898-4201 / Telecommute: 408-733-0387 / Cell: 408-829-6513

Posted by xavier jmlucjav <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Mark,

Thanks for trying it out.

Let me see if I explain it better: the number you have to select (in order
to later being able to tweak it with the slider), is  any number that must
be in one of the parameters in the Scoring section.

The issue you have, is that you are using /select handler from the example
distribution, and that handler does not have any of these parameters (qf,
pf, pf2, pf3, ps, ps2, ps3, bf, bq, boost, mm, tie), so it's normal they
don't show up, there is nothing to tweak...

In the example configuration from 4.1, you can select /browse handler, as
it uses qf and mm, and you should be able to tweak them. Of course If you
were using a real Solr installation with a sizable number of documents and
some complex usage of edismax, you would be able to see much better what
the tool can do.

xavier