Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/29 20:40:09 UTC

Problem with OGNL in FieldExpressionValidator

Can anyone help me understand how to use OGNL to capture session data in
this annotation?

I'm trying to use FieldExpressionValidator   The Annotation has this
[expression = "!birthYearDisplayed || !birthYear.equals('')"]

birthYearDisplayed is on the session and set to true

When I execute the code, the annotation logs "WARN - Got result of null when
trying to get Boolean."

I also tried #session.birthYearDisplayed & #session['birthYearDisplayed']

Struts 2.2.1
--
Greg Akins
http://twitter.com/akinsgre

Re: Problem with OGNL in FieldExpressionValidator

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
Setting up a test app and trying to verify.

I suspect I'm doing something wrong elsewhere.

My test app has expression=("#session.isSet)

where session.put("isSet", true) is called in the index.action

And everything seems to work as expected.

I probably just needed a good night's sleep.. Thanks for listening.

Posted by Dave Newton <da...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  In this case, the session has the right value when the setter is
> executed, but the OGNL expression #session.birthYearEnabled is null
> (or seem to be null)

Just as a sanity check, birthYearEnabled (above) and
birthYearDisplayed (original posting) are different things; are you
looking for the right variable?

Dave

Re: Problem with OGNL in FieldExpressionValidator

Posted by Greg Akins <an...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Okan Özeren <ok...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I didn't read all of these, but maybe there are some usefull tips in this article:
> http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/wikidocs/ExpressionValidator%20Tips.html

 Not quite.  Thanks though.

 That article is mostly about the ExpressionValidator; I guess I need
more OGNL help.

 I've always had a hard time understanding OGNL, so I'm sure I'm
making a mistake there.

 In this case, the session has the right value when the setter is
executed, but the OGNL expression #session.birthYearEnabled is null
(or seem to be null)

 I've tested this by executing the action.execute() and by calling the
annotations from a JUnit Test.

Posted by Okan Özeren <ok...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

I didn't read all of these, but maybe there are some usefull tips in this
article:
http://www.opensymphony.com/xwork/wikidocs/ExpressionValidator%20Tips.html

Okan Özeren.