Posted to dev@ranger.apache.org by "allal@ebay.com" <al...@ebay.com> on 2016/04/11 19:59:07 UTC

Re: Standardise logging?

@Colm, this is an important. I appreciate you highlighting it.

IMO We should standardize on slf4j as most hadoop projects seem to use.  In most environments that we run in slf4j is available.
- hfs
- hbase
- hive
- storm
- knox
- kafka
- solr

For webapps
- kms explicitly includes it.
- While admin does not include it explicitly it must be getting it because of transitive dependencies as a few files in admin are are currently using slf4j.

Ideally the following should happen:

- Standardize on one mechanism, i.e. replace all uses in favor of the one standard mechanism.
- find a mechanism to flag alternate means of doing logging and fail the build, perhaps via one of the static analysis tools so this does not happen in the future.

What do others feel?

- Alok

Re: Standardise logging?

Posted by Colm O hEigeartaigh <co...@apache.org>.
Any further thoughts on this from the other devs given the recent mail on
logging?

Colm.

--
Colm O hEigeartaigh