Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> on 2006/07/08 03:00:41 UTC

Would like to remove Ant build from Struts 2

I'd like to remove the Ant build from Struts 2.  I don't think it has
worked for a little while and the new Maven 2 layout discourages it for
any complex builds.  Unless someone seriously wants to put the effort
into keeping it up, I think it should be removed.

Don

Re: Would like to remove Ant build from Struts 2

Posted by Greg Ludington <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com>.
Probably, though I haven't looked in to it too much yet.

Re: Would like to remove Ant build from Struts 2

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Patrick Lightbody <fo...@opensymphony.com>.

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
Another issue for using Maven-only for Struts 2 right now today is
aggregated Javadocs.

It's very helpful to aggregate the XWork Javadocs with the Struts 2
Javadocs, and I understand  Maven is broken in that regard right now.

Posted by tm jee <tm...@yahoo.co.uk>.
> taglib-maven-plugin generates the documentation.
If not mistaken, i think the taglib-macen-plugin generates document (html) from taglib.tld. The struts2 xdoclet-taglib ant task actually generates taglib.tld based on some tagging (eg. a2.tagattribute ....) in the javadoc.

> If you are currently generating the tlds from something else (I
> haven't looked...) then I'd suggest generating them one final time and
> committing them to src/main/resources/META-INF/tlds.  (or
> META-INF/tld? Is there a standard location?)

In struts2, its in  /src/main/resource/META-INF. The generated tld file will be in
/src/main/resource/META-INF/taglib.tld.  Do you mean that we generate the tld for the last time and don't use "xdoclet-taglib" ant task anymore, but instead alter the taglib.tld by hand?

There's another "xdoclet-tagdoc" that generate some html files regarding the attribute a particular struts2 has. Its being refered to by snippets in confluence. I am not sure but i think it could be replaced by "taglib-maven-plugin", but we need to figure out how to solve the snippet refered by confluence.

regards

On 7/7/06, Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org> wrote:
> We do that already with Maven 2 for Struts 1.  I'm sure we could do the
> same here.  Wendy?

For the Struts 1 build, the tlds are the source documents, and
taglib-maven-plugin generates the documentation.
 * http://maven-taglib.sourceforge.net/m2/index.html

--
Wendy

Re: Would like to remove Ant build from Struts 2

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Don Brown <mr...@twdata.org>.