Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Linus Crawford <lc...@etrade.com> on 2000/08/30 00:37:48 UTC

How Do I Create A Dynamic Doc

I need to create a document on the fly and cannot figure out how. I try to:
Document doc = new DocumentImpl();
doc.createElement( "tag1" );
doc.createElement( "tag1n0" );
doc.createTextNode( "some text" );
doc.createElement( "tag1n1" );
doc.createTextNode( "more text" );

seems hunky dory, no exceptions rasised, but when I try to normalize ala

doc.getDocumentElement.normalize();

I get null pointer exception.
doc.getDocumentElement() return seems ok, but if I try to look at the node
it
returned say as in

org.w3c.dom.Node nod = doc.getDocumentElement();
nod.getNodeType()

trying to get it's type, value or name all cause null pointer exception.

Can anyone point me in the right direction??

Thanks in advance, linus@etrade.com

RE: How Do I Create A Dynamic Doc

Posted by Tako Schotanus <qu...@palacio-cristal.com>.
Look at the code in the DOMGenerate.java for example:

  Document doc= new DocumentImpl();
  Element root = doc.createElement("person");     // Create Root Element
  Element item = doc.createElement("name");       // Create element
  item.appendChild( doc.createTextNode("Jeff") );
  root.appendChild( item );                       // atach element to Root
element
  item = doc.createElement("age");                // Create another Element
  item.appendChild( doc.createTextNode("28" ) );
  root.appendChild( item );                       // Attach Element to
previous element down tree
  item = doc.createElement("height");
  item.appendChild( doc.createTextNode("1.80" ) );
  root.appendChild( item );                       // Attach another
Element - grandaugther
  doc.appendChild( root );                        // Add Root to Document