Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Bryan Boone <bb...@gmail.com> on 2021/08/11 20:17:38 UTC

Help needed learning and launching OFBiz

Hello everyone.  I am new to OFBiz.  I have some questions that I need in order to get started.

First, I need to learn about OFBiz.  What are some good resources for me to learn about it?  I see some books on Amazon.  I see some videos on Youtube.  And I see some documentation online.  Are the books on Amazon any good?  If so which one?  I see several.

I am moderate developer charged with building OFBiz and building/modifying it for our company needs.  Here are some things that my project requires.

Databases must be encrypted.
Application will need to support thousands of users and potentially hundreds of concurrent users.
Run on AWS EC2 instances.
Need to support multiple discrete companies who have their own separate databases.  I believe “tenants” accomplishes this.
Support backing up individual databases on a per tenant basis.

I see that OFBiz comes by default with Derby, but I read that this is not a good database for a production environment.  Which database should I go with?  PostgreSQL or MySQL?  Or something else?

I am currently trying to setup PostgreSQL, but the documentation is not very clear.  When I try to build, it fails.  What/where are the best directions for changing the database for OFBiz?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Re: Help needed learning and launching OFBiz

Posted by Suraj Khurana <su...@hotwax.co>.
Hello Bryan,

You can also explore and learn more about OFBiz by our Apache OFBiz youtube
channel [1]. It will help you to have more understanding about the
framework.

For production, you can surely go with MySQL database, it works really well
in our case.
To change DB, you need to change the datasource name for all the delgators
present in the entityengine [2] file and provide corresponding db name and
creds in the datasource [3].

HTH.

[1] : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxt1NtEaaeIRhMLHjALRe9w
[2] :