Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Michael R. Schwab" <Mi...@qcc.ca> on 2002/09/06 22:47:08 UTC

JNDI + NIS Authentication + Tomcat

Hi,

I've run into a bit of a stumbling block attempting to configure a
<Resource> and associated <ResourceParams> in /etc/tomcat4/server.xml
for web based NIS authentication using JAAS's
com.sun.security.auth.module.JndiLoginModule.

I have written a Principal and CallbackHandler class as well as the
configuration file as shown below (with the IPs and NIS domain masked):

indexName
{
    com.sun.security.auth.module.JndiLoginModule required
	debug=true
	user.provider.url="nis://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/DOMAIN"
	group.provider.url="nis://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/DOMAIN";
};

When I attempt to authenticate via a simple JSP based HTML form, I
get the following output from the catalina.out log file:

[JndiLoginModule] user provider: nis://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/DOMAIN
[JndiLoginModule] group provider: nis://aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd/DOMAIN
[JndiLoginModule]:  User not found
javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: Name nis: is not bound in this Context
at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:811)
at org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:194)
at org.apache.naming.SelectorContext.lookup(SelectorContext.java:183)
at javax.naming.InitialContext.lookup(InitialContext.java:347)
at com.sun.security.auth.module.JndiLoginModule.attemptAuthentication(JndiLoginModule.java:497)
at com.sun.security.auth.module.JndiLoginModule.login(JndiLoginModule.java:310)

[...snip...]

[JndiLoginModule] regular authentication failed
[JndiLoginModule]: aborted authentication failed
LoginException: User not found

I have been scouring the Jakarta Tomcat, Sun, and other sites for
information/examples, but have yet to find anything of any help.

Does anyone know of any resource that describes how to properly
configure this type of web based authentication via Tomcat and
com.sun.security.auth.module.JndiLoginModule?

Thanks in advance,
Michael
--
Michael R. Schwab