Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com> on 2017/08/26 07:14:36 UTC

Play Area -- Second OFBiz Instance

I've got OFBiz up and running on my Linux laptop with a MySQL backend.
Is it possible to have another instance running somehow at the same time
that uses a different DB? Well, maybe three different DBs -- looks like
I'm currently using ofbiz, ofbizolap, and ofbiztenant.

What I'm aiming for is to have a "live" and a "play" area eventually. If
I want to go try something, I want to keep from breaking my install.

Initially though, I want to have the default data in one, and the other
a blank slate.

Right now the install is sitting in /ofbiz and being started up with a
bash script via systemctl. I've not tried it yet, but  I'm wondering if
I have to create the three new DBs, and duplicate what I have in /ofbiz
to something like /ofbiz-play, then create a similar startup script that
fires up things in that /ofbiz-play directory.

Re: Play Area -- Second OFBiz Instance

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes . you may use port-offset feature to bind the instance to different
port numbers concurrently
in the same host.

BTW: you can play with derby also , as nuking old data is easy ( rm -rf
<derbyfiles> ) .
with mysql/pgsql you have to put more effort in emptying the database.

HTH!

regds
mallah.

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig ,

below is the diff version , it show what was changed from the stock version.

https://pastebin.com/MzJ0V47n

Note: I had used a separate db schema for ofbiz  , in case you are not using
schema  ignore below

-            schema-name="public"
+            schema-name="ofbiz"

in diff.

HTH!

regds
mallah.

Posted by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com>.
This was in fact the problem. I've gone through the setup a few times
now, starting fresh on a few different PCs, and forgot to set my
laptop's OFBiz instance(s) to use MySQL in the first place. :P

I can run both now, fire each up with systemctl, and they both run when
I boot. This old laptop has to work hard to get them going initially,
but they run...

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
regarding blank database:

Posted by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Offtopic:

you may consider to using Postgres also for new setups.
note: this has nothing to do with the problem in hand.

regds
mallah.

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Yes I just concluded testing it , it was unnecessary . Thanks

regds
mallah.

Posted by Paul Mandeltort <pa...@marcospec.com>.
Also look into docker, you can side step all of the configuration headaches and just containerize the whole mess.

--P

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@redgrape.tech>.

Posted by Aditya Sharma <ad...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Rajesh,

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacques ,

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Rajesh,

Posted by Rajesh Mallah <ma...@gmail.com>.
my ../refresh.sh

#!/bin/bash

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Craig Parker <cr...@fossfolks.com>.
<inline-jdbc

Posted by Deepak Dixit <de...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Craig,

Posted by Taher Alkhateeb <sl...@gmail.com>.
Hi Craig,

I'm not sure if this might be an overkill for you, but I usually write a
little docker-compose file to fire up OFBiz with postgres. I can have 5
instances running on my laptop each with its own database, ip address,
network stack, etc. I can start or terminate any instance with one line and
all instances are completely isolated from each other. Even better, I don't
have to install any database on my computer.

Of course the price you have to pay is learning docker which takes some
time to understand but the benefits are worth it in my opinion. Deployment
becomes consistent in any machine whether be it production, staging or your
local machine.