Posted to cactus-user@jakarta.apache.org by la...@masq.ca on 2002/04/11 22:08:06 UTC

I'm probably misunderstanding something here...

Hi,

I'm trying to run the attached servlet test, but when I do, I get an error
on the assertion of the content type as text/plain. If I use my Web browser
to access the URL, though, I get the correct type.
Here is the ant target that runs the test:

	<target name="run_tests">
	<echo message="Running tests"/>
    <junit printsummary="yes" haltonfailure="yes" haltonerror="yes" fork="yes">

        <classpath>
        <pathelement path="${build}"/>
		<pathelement path="etc"/>
        <pathelement location="${weblogic.lib}/weblogic.jar"/>
		<fileset dir="lib">
		  <include name="**/*.jar"/>
		  <exclude name="**/log4j.jar"/>
		</fileset>
        </classpath>

        <formatter type="plain" usefile="false"/>

        <test name="ca.masq.prototype.laurent.cactus.CactusServletTest"/>

    </junit>
	</target>

And the error I get is:

run_tests:
     [echo] Running tests
    [junit] Running ca.masq.prototype.laurent.cactus.CactusServletTest
     [java] [warning] Failed to configure logging system : Could not find file [/log_server.properties]
     [java] log4j:ERROR No appenders could be found for category (org.apache.cactus.server.ServletTestRedirector).
     [java] log4j:ERROR Please initialize the log4j system properly.
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.717 sec
    [junit] Testsuite: ca.masq.prototype.laurent.cactus.CactusServletTest
    [junit] Tests run: 1, Failures: 1, Errors: 0, Time elapsed: 0.717 sec
    [junit]
    [junit] Testcase: testHelloWorld took 0.706 sec
    [junit] 	FAILED
    [junit] Unexpected type expected:<text/plain> but was:<application/x-www-form-urlencoded>
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Unexpected type expected:<text/plain> but was:<application/x-www-form-urlencoded>
    [junit] 	at ca.masq.prototype.laurent.cactus.CactusServletTest.endHelloWorld(Unknown Source)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.cactus.AbstractTestCase.callEndMethod(AbstractTestCase.java:329)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.cactus.AbstractTestCase.runGenericTest(AbstractTestCase.java:460)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.cactus.ServletTestCase.runTest(ServletTestCase.java:133)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.cactus.AbstractTestCase.runBare(AbstractTestCase.java:400)
    [junit]
    [junit] Testcase: testHelloWorld
Trying to override old definition of task runservertests

Where is my understanding incorrect?

Laurent Duperval <ma...@masq.ca>

"God hates me, that's what it is ..."

Re: I'm probably misunderstanding something here...

Posted by la...@masq.ca.
On 15 Apr, Vincent Massol wrote:
> No you're not ... ! :-) I've just read you test case and you have that
> line :
>
> assertEquals("Unexpected type", "text/plain",
> theResponse.getWebRequest().getContentType());

<snip>

> However, I believe that what you really want to do is assert the content
> type of the _HTTP Response_ and not the one from the HTTP request, right
> ? You would do that easily by issuing a :
>
> assertEquals("Unexpected type", "text/plain",
> theResponse.getConnection().getContentType());

Mumble, grumble, !*@^#!!*@^!)... I believe there's a term for this here...
Ah yes: "Asleep at the switch". I believe this has caused numerous accidents
in the past... :-)

Laurent Duperval <ma...@masq.ca>

"Si tu te cognes la tête contre un vase et que cela résonne, ne t'empresses
pas à conclure que c'est le vase qui est creux".
    -Anonymous

RE: I'm probably misunderstanding something here...

Posted by Vincent Massol <vm...@octo.com>.

which looks strange to me because you're comparing the content type of
the HTTP request that was sent in beginXXX() to "text/plain". By default
Cactus sends a content type of "application/x-www-form-urlencoded". If
you wanted to specify the content type you would have to issue a
WebRequest.setContentType("text/plain") in beginXXX().

However, I believe that what you really want to do is assert the content
type of the _HTTP Response_ and not the one from the HTTP request, right
? You would do that easily by issuing a :

assertEquals("Unexpected type", "text/plain",
theResponse.getConnection().getContentType());

Cheers,
-Vincent