Posted to user@poi.apache.org by Sateesh K Kolusu <sa...@in.ibm.com> on 2017/05/03 12:16:51 UTC

Re: Details on new vulnerability against Apache POI usage ?

Thank you Dominik. Can you throw some light on what you mean by
"So the vulnerability affects you if you are opening documents in the
newer
format from an "untrusted" source, i.e. if you do not control how the
files
are built."

---
Thanks in advance
Sateesh

From:   Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>
To:     POI Users List <us...@poi.apache.org>
Date:   04/27/2017 05:57 PM
Subject:        Re: Details on new vulnerability against Apache POI usage
?

Hi,

the vulnerability was concerning the XML parsing of files in the newer
Microsoft document formats (i.e. xlsx, docx, pptx, ...). These files are
actually zip-files with a bunch of XML-files inside. There was a
possibility to create a specially crafted xml-file as part of such a file
POI could go out-of-memory while processing such a file. There is no
specific functionality involved to trigger it as the initial parsing of
the
files during opening the document via Apache POI triggers the problem.

So the vulnerability affects you if you are opening documents in the newer
format from an "untrusted" source, i.e. if you do not control how the
files
are built.

Let us know if you need more details.

Dominik.

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 8:50 AM, Sateesh K Kolusu
<sateesh.kolusu@in.ibm.com
> wrote:

> Hello  -
> Recently saw this vulnerability
> Apache POI in versions prior to release 3.15 allows remote attackers to
> cause a denial of service (CPU consumption) via a specially crafted
OOXML
> file, aka an XML Entity Expansion (XEE) attack. Users with applications
> which accept content from external or untrusted sources are advised to
> upgrade to Apache POI 3.15 or newer.
>
> We recently migrated to 3.14 a couple of months back. Though 3.14 is
> affected as per the above text, can some one give additional details
what
> exactly is this vulnerability and how it affects ?  Does usage of any
> Class or a method or a some particular formatted input affects that ?
This

Posted by Javen O'Neal <on...@apache.org>.
If you read the CVE, POI 3.15 and earlier are vulnerable to hand-crafted
XML attacks. See Billion Laughs [1]. These won't exist in an XML file by
accident--they're deliberately added by someone with malicious intent or
someone copying the XML contents of an untrustworthy file without checking
the contents.

The consequence is a denial of service, either by exhausting available
memory (which will thrash the JVM's garbage collector until the JVM figures
out that there isn't enough memory that can be gc'd to allocate the
requested memory), or a denial of service by pegging the CPU doing work
that grows exponentially, whichever DoS vector occurs first.

[1] Billion Laughs example
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billion_laughs#Code_example

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andreas Beeker <ki...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sateesh K Kolusu <sa...@in.ibm.com>.
Thank you for the prompt reply. We specifically use POI ONLY for
extracting data from Microsoft Excel sheets that has different column
definitions and writing data to Microsoft excel sheets ie., .xlsx formats
So as you said since we produce excel files here we are vulnerable ?

---
Thanks
Sateesh

From:   Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>
To:     POI Users List <us...@poi.apache.org>
Date:   05/03/2017 06:14 PM
?

Hi,

"Newer format" means .xlsx, .docx, .pptx files compared to .xls, .doc,
.ppt
which are in a non-XML binary format and are NOT affected at all here.

It affects you if you process files provided by your users or other
external parties which you do not trust fully. It does NOT affect you if
the files are only ever produced in your own applications that you trust
provide compliant documents.

It does NOT affect you if you only produce files and never import data
from
such files in your application.

Dominik

On Wed, May 3, 2017 at 2:16 PM, Sateesh K Kolusu
<sa...@in.ibm.com>

Posted by Dominik Stadler <do...@gmx.at>.
Hi,

"Newer format" means .xlsx, .docx, .pptx files compared to .xls, .doc, .ppt
which are in a non-XML binary format and are NOT affected at all here.

It affects you if you process files provided by your users or other
external parties which you do not trust fully. It does NOT affect you if
the files are only ever produced in your own applications that you trust to