Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de> on 2018/12/18 15:22:25 UTC

Signing up for a ProfiNet Vendor-ID for the Apache PLC4X (incubating) project

Hi all,

in order to be able to create a driver for the ProfiNet protocol, which is able to actively communicate with other devices, a so-called Vendor-ID is required.

A few weeks ago I had talked to a representative of the ProfiNet organization and he said that he could generate such an ID for us free of charge.
After all it seems as if all that happens, is that the information is entered to a globally readable database so if someone would notice some ProfiNet device doing strange stuff, they could look-up the vendor and device.

Here’s what he asked me in order to generate such a Vendor-ID:
"Zur Vergabe der Vendor-ID benötige ich den Namen des „Herstellers“, seine Adresse und Webadresse."

My translation:
"In order to provide a Vendor-ID, I need the name of the "Supplier", it's address and website."

So if there are no objections I would provide the following information:

The Apache Software Foundation

401 Edgewater Place, Suite 600
Wakefield, MA 01880
U.S.A.

https://www.apache.org

So please, if there are any doubts, please let me know. I’m planning on submitting this in the new year.

Maybe it would be better do use the URL of PLC4X in that case https://plc4x.apache.org as if someone would want to contact the maintainers, PLC4X would be the people to ask.

Chris