Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mikael Aronsson <mi...@telia.com> on 2001/09/19 11:50:24 UTC

Tomcat vs. Apache

Hi !

Apache is faster then Tomcat, and in some documents I have also found
information that Tomcat should be less robust then Apache.

I am running Tomcat locally on my computer and so far I have not noticed any
performance problems, I am developing an intranet application that use alot
of JSP and applets, but the number of users is pretty low, say maybe 5-10
active users.

So, is it ok to use Tomcat for a solution like this ?, it would be
interesting to know a little of where the bottlenecks are in Tomcat..., at
the moment I don't have any possibility to try it out in a realistic
environment, so it would be nice to have a clue if I should go for a
solution with Tomcat and a separate HTTP server or use Tomcat alone.

Mikael

Re: Tomcat vs. Apache

Posted by simon colston <si...@lexues.co.jp>.
Hello,

I've just been reading about the new I/O api in Java 1.4.  If it is as good as it looks, Tomcat wont need Apache at all in the near future.  Tomcat should be able to deliver static pages efficiently enough on its own.  Very exciting.  Can't wait for the Java 1.4 version of Tomcat.  Keep up the good work!

--
simon colston
simon@lexues.co.jp

Re: Tomcat vs. Apache