Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/30 21:12:35 UTC

2.0

The more I think about it, the more I think we should call 1.2-next,
2.0.  I'd like to spend some time paying off our technical debt:

- replace supercolumns with composites (CASSANDRA-3237)
- rewrite counters (CASSANDRA-4775)
- improve storage engine support for wide rows
- better stage management to improve latency (disruptor? lightweight
threads?  custom executor + queue?)
- improved repair (CASSANDRA-3362, 2699)

Of course, we're planning some new features as well:
- triggers (CASSANDRA-1311)
- improved query fault tolerance (CASSANDRA-4705)
- row size limits (CASSANDRA-3929)
- cql3 integration for hadoop (CASSANDRA-4421)
- improved caching (CASSANDRA-1956, 2864)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
My hope is that after 1.2 (i.e. by the time we're 2.0'ing), the binary CQL
protocol is out of beta :).

Re: 2.0

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Bill de hÓra <bi...@dehora.net>.
I'm not thrilled with Thrift, but I'd like to see and hear more real
world use of CQL first (Avro all the things is not that long ago).

That said, a major rev /could/ do this - not start the thrift server by
default.  It's then a hoop jump to enable it via nodetool/yaml, and
signals to the client communities and user base, where the project
intends to go.

Bill

RE: Stable Hector version with cassandra 1.1.6

Posted by "Bisht, Jaikrit" <bi...@visa.com>.
Thanks for the response, I will use the following version of hector client for cassandra 1.1.6.

<dependency>
        <groupId>org.hectorclient</groupId>
        <artifactId>hector-core</artifactId>
        <version>1.1-1</version>
</dependency>

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
Oops, meant to address this specifically to Jonathan, but since I've
confused 'reply' with 'forward'. my apologies for any extra noise on this
topic.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
- world

Re: 2.0

Posted by Drew Kutcharian <dr...@venarc.com>.
I agree with Edward here. We use Thrift too and we haven't really found a good enough reason to move to CQL3.

-- Drew

Re: 2.0

Posted by Brandon Williams <dr...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 12:24 PM, Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I do not understand why everyone wants to force this issue on removing
> thrift.

I'm -1 on removing thrift, and by my count, that would put us at -3
binding if it ever came to vote, so let's consider this proposition
closed and move on to other more constructive points.

-Brandon

Re: 2.0

Posted by Edward Capriolo <ed...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Sylvain Lebresne <sy...@datastax.com>.
I agree on 2.0.

Re: Hector 0.8.0-2 update fails with : "All host pools marked down. Retry burden pushed out to client."

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com>.
Dne 3.12.2012 9:15, Bisht, Jaikrit napsal(a):
> Hi there,
>
> What have been the problems with Hector?
problems with improper detection of down nodes
problems with improper detection of timeouts
some lost updates due to bad timestamp generation, spliting into more
mutators helped.
lack of support for all data types

RE: Hector 0.8.0-2 update fails with : "All host pools marked down. Retry burden pushed out to client."

Posted by "Bisht, Jaikrit" <bi...@visa.com>.
Hi there,

What have been the problems with Hector? I assume you are using Java client, so which client are you using now to use Cassandra?

Regards
Jay

after 1 year experience with Hector, i would recommend: stay away from
hector if possible.

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com>.

Posted by "Bisht, Jaikrit" <bi...@visa.com>.
Hi,

I am working on a POC for cassandra 1.1.6 with hector 0.8.0-2.

It fails on a update with the following exception. Anyone has seen this error before? Please could you help..

Hector throws an HectorException: Exception message : "All host pools marked down. Retry burden pushed out to client."

java.lang.NullPointerException
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.model.MutatorImpl.execute(MutatorImpl.java:217)
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.template.AbstractColumnFamilyTemplate.executeBatch(AbstractColumnFamilyTemplate.java:127)
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.template.AbstractColumnFamilyTemplate.executeIfNotBatched(AbstractColumnFamilyTemplate.java:162)
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.template.SuperCfTemplate.update(SuperCfTemplate.java:198)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.dao.AbstractSuperColumnDataAccess.update(AbstractSuperColumnDataAccess.java:188)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.domain.InterfaceStationProcessor.markLinkUp(InterfaceStationProcessor.java:47)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.domain.InterfaceStationProcessor.processRequest(InterfaceStationProcessor.java:78)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.domain.SwitchService.processRequest(SwitchService.java:78)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.domain.SwitchService.access$000(SwitchService.java:13)
        at com.visa.shared.cache.poc.domain.SwitchService$1.run(SwitchService.java:59)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception in thread "switchServiceTaskExceutor-1242" java.lang.NullPointerException
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.model.MutatorImpl.addInsertion(MutatorImpl.java:158)
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.template.SuperCfUpdater.updateInternal(SuperCfUpdater.java:115)
        at me.prettyprint.cassandra.service.template.SuperCfTemplate.update(SuperCfTemplate.java:196)

Cassandra logs in  /var/log/cassandra/system.log:
 INFO [FlushWriter:8] 2012-12-01 17:01:13,200 Memtable.java (line 264) Writing Memtable-jpp_0001@1896150523(17573964/21967455 serialized/live bytes, 1055 ops)
ERROR [Thrift:1030] 2012-12-01 17:01:14,324 CustomTThreadPoolServer.java (line 200) Thrift error occurred during processing of message.
org.apache.thrift.TException: Negative length: -2147418111
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.checkReadLength(TBinaryProtocol.java:388)
        at org.apache.thrift.protocol.TBinaryProtocol.readBinary(TBinaryProtocol.java:363)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.Cassandra$batch_mutate_args.read(Cassandra.java:19724)
        at org.apache.thrift.ProcessFunction.process(ProcessFunction.java:21)
        at org.apache.thrift.TBaseProcessor.process(TBaseProcessor.java:34)
        at org.apache.cassandra.thrift.CustomTThreadPoolServer$WorkerProcess.run(CustomTThreadPoolServer.java:186)

Re: 2.0

Posted by Ray Slakinski <ra...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jason Brown <ja...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jonathan,

Re: 2.0

Posted by Jonathan Ellis <jb...@gmail.com>.
With no objections I have renamed 1.3 to 2.0 in JIRA.

Re: 2.0

Posted by Vijay <vi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Regards,