Posted to user@struts.apache.org by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com> on 2002/11/24 17:45:51 UTC

RE: struts-user Digest 19 Nov 2002 16:44:11 -0000 Issue 2291

On Tuesday, November 19th, Dudley.Butt@za.didata.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> here is a list of struts books available, without being
> biased, can anyone tell me which books will be worth buying,
> and why? I'm not  new to struts, although i haven't been using
> it for a year or so. I need to have a decent book to bring me
> up to date with the latest struts goodies. Also, preferably
> with some advanced struts stuff.

Just to echo what others have said, you probably need to buy more than
one to get the full picture.  For example, Kevin and I wrote "Struts
Kick Start" to very much be a "get going with Struts fast" type of book.
Toward that end, we explictly don't get into things like replacing the
command processor, since we felt that that kind of "under the hood"
information can distract from learning the tool initially.  So clearly
Ted or Chuck will probably do a better job of explaining the
implementation details.

On the other hand, we try to remain grounded in application development,
so we probably spend more time showing how to use Struts in live example
applications, and how to integrate it into web services and EJB
implementations.

Also, because Struts is changing as we speak, the later a book came out
(assuming relatively equal production times), the more up to date it
might be. (Note that since our book is coming out last, this can rightly
be construed as being handed lemons and making lemondade...)

In any event, the best solution (as always) is to sit down with a couple
of them in the B&N café and see which one fits your style.  There
probably isn't one "best book" for everyone.

James

Does html:form tag post to control servlet using encodedURL?

Posted by Chris Ruegger <cr...@speakeasy.net>.
I'm getting routed to the wrong server when I use html: form
action=/myAction
in a weblogic clustered environment. Does the html:form
tag POST to the Struts servlet using response.encodeURL
as the URL posted to?

How should I code my html:form tags in JSPs in
clustered environment to ensure the user keeps getting
routed to the same server they were intially routed
to in the cluster?

thanks