Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Gurer Kiratli <gu...@airbnb.com.INVALID> on 2016/08/04 22:21:06 UTC

Airflow Developers Meeting - 08/03 Notes

Agenda

   -

   Committers sync-up: progress and plans
   -

      Max to do a recap since last release
      -

      Airbnb
      -

      Anyone else?
      -

   Cooperation Best Practices
   -

   Solicit for feedback for Impersonation Design Review
   -

   Release Schedule, Management
   -

   Roadmap discussion

Attendees: Jeremiah Lowin, Chris Riccomini, Andrew Phillips(?), Maxime
Beauchemin, Paul Yang, Dan Davydov, Xuanji Li, George Ke, Arthur Wiedmer,
Gurer Kiratli

Notes

   -

   Recap for the overall project
   -

      [Max]
      https://gist.github.com/mistercrunch/5460483ec764e2a1cb816c6b1d6ad5a3
      -

   Airbnb Recap
   -

      [Paul] Airbnb is continuing work on features related to migrating
      more jobs onto Airflow - DB connection scalability, impersonation,
      refreshing web UI, DAG git versioning, task resource isolation
      -

   Other Recaps
   -

      [Chris] Improvements to Import functionality. Joy did some work
      around CLIs and mark success in collaboration with Bolke.
      -

      [Jeremiah] Came up with the Merge tool. Focusing on the work around
      configuration.
      -

   Meeting cadence
   -

      [Max] We can have monthly meetings. Let’s start with monthly we can
      change the cadence. We should invite all contributors. We should
specify in
      the invite that everyone is welcome. Currently posting this on
the mailing
      list and wiki.
      -

      *Action Item*  Gurer to schedule monthly meetings next one at Airbnb.
      Airbnb is welcoming folks to come onsite
      -

   Blog/Documentation
   -

      [Max, Chris, Jeremiah] Having a blog would be useful. We can
      structure our thoughts.
      -

      [Andrew] Blog should have better language with screenshots and all.
      This raises the level of effort bar and this might mean that
nobody really
      does it.
      -

      [Max] Maybe use Medium? We can try it out.
      -

      [Max] Haven’t looked at the documentation for a long time. I don’t
      really know about its quality.
      -

      [Arthur] Looking at the email list responses, seems like the
      documentation is missing certain elements.
      -

      [Max] Maybe we can interview people who just started and identify
      gaps.
      -

      *Action Item* [Jeremiah] We can also ask the mailing list about this.
      He will send this out.
      -

   Cooperation guidelines
   -

      [Max, Arthur]
      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AIRFLOW/Community+Guidelines
      -

      [Chris] Let’s link the guidelines to contributor md . This should be
      discoverable
      -

   Release
   -

      [Chris, Max] Bolke might have branch with High charts and Licensing
      cherry picked. We can use this as a dry run. We can test the process.
      -

      [Max] Big release is probably around September.
      -

      [Andrew] If we want to have a true practice, we need to be diligently
      following Apache guidelines.
      -

      [Max] We might want to revive the email thread about how we should do
      this.
      -

      [Chris] It would be great for someone who hasn’t done this before to
      do this.
      -

      [Andrew] Building a script for this is smart otherwise the manual
      work is painful from experience.
      https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS/Releasing+jclouds

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/JCLOUDS/Validate+a+Release

   -

      *Action Item* [Max] Max will own this. This will happen by 08/19.
      -

      [Arthur] For the main release around mid September. We need to
      confirm this date.
      -

   Roadmap
   -

      [Max] Maybe each company puts their own section? Or should we have a
      more cohesive roadmap?
      -

      *Action Item* Gurer to schedule a roadmap discussion
      -

   Misc
   -

      [Max] For executor thinking about sticking with Celery and maybe
      having Docker implemented on top of it.
      -

      [Max] We might want to explore Sphinx for generating documentation
      from code.
      - [Max] Please review the impersonation design review. This is pretty
      simple and reversible.

Re: Airflow Developers Meeting - 08/03 Notes

Posted by Chris Riccomini <cr...@apache.org>.
> Maybe we should keep them for Airflow 1.8.

+1

Posted by Alex Van Boxel <al...@vanboxel.be>.

Posted by Jakob Homan <jg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Maxime Beauchemin <ma...@gmail.com>.