Posted to user@roller.apache.org by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com> on 2006/04/21 05:11:26 UTC

Using Unicode in entry title?

Greetings,

I use Safari under OS X 10.4.6 to access my Roller blog at
www.jroller.com using, well, whatever version of Roller they're using
today ;-)

I'd like to be able to use Unicode characters in the titles of my
blog entries.  If I use OS X's built in Chinese input method editor
to enter a Chinese character in an entry title via the Edit Entry
screen I'll see the correct character show up in the entry listing
(to the right of the Edit Entry screen under Recent Entries) but all
I get is a '?' when I view the blog.

If I try entering an HTML entity like "&#x80d6;" into the title then
I see those seven characters under Recent Entries, but I do see the
correct single (Chinese) character when I view the blog.   The
correct character also shows up in the RSS feed when viewed via
Safari.  The trouble comes when I try to view the new entry via the
front page of the JRoller website - it displays "&#x80d6;" explicitly.

Sure, I could just blame JRoller ;-)  Instead I pointed
feedvalidator.org at my RSS feed and validated it - they flagged the
"&amp;#x80d6;" and gave a warning that the title should not contain
HTML and that I shouldn't be surprised if some viewers strip the
characters or leave them there - like I saw at JRoller.

I've seen Roller blogs that contain entries with titles containing
explicit Unicode characters - I've check out their RSS source (using
Safari's View:View Source command).  Their RSS feed source, like
mine, contains charset="UTF-8", so that makes sense.

So what am I doing wrong?  It looks like there's no way for me to
input Unicode via the Chinese input method using the existing web-
based Roller interface that JRoller has configured. Is it a
configuration issue?  Or do I need to use an alternative method of
posting entries that uses the Blogger or MetaWeblog APIs?

I didn't find anything useful on the Roller user guides and wiki
about this... Any suggestions on where to turn?

谢谢!

Re: Using Unicode in entry title?

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Howdy again,

I realize that there's nothing worse than a neophyte asking trivial
questions that a quick perusal of the docs would answer, sorry about
that!

  I'm wondering if the problem I'm seeing with entering Chinese
characters into my JRoller blog might be database character encoding
issue.  A quick look around the JRoller site and a bit of Googling
didn't turn up much about what database JRoller is currently using.

On the off chance that the JRoller folks read this list:  what kind
of charset encoding are you using?

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Whoops, make that "... which is U+80D6 in Unicode"

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
I use the ITABC ("Intelligent ABC", I think) Simplified Chinese input
method editor that comes with OS X.  The ITABC system lets you use
Latin characters to type in the Pinyin (phonetic) representation of a
Chinese glyph - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinyin

Simple example:  "fat" in Chinese is "胖“, which is U+ in Unicode.
It's approximately pronounced "pahng" in Mandarin.  So I enable the
ITABC system, type "pang", press the space bar and several glyphs
show up in a little box near the cursor.  Then I just select the one
I want.  ITABC can do more than that, but that's the basic idea.

I like ITABC since I can just type in what I hear, using the Latin
keyboard.  Some people find that they can type more quickly using
other IMEs - the WuBi method for example, which is based on the
strokes in a Chinese glyph, is supposed to be very fast.

There are similar IMEs in WIndows XP - I'd bet Linux has them, too.

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
No problem Brian!

Thanks for the assistance - I'll create a test account and see what
happens.  If Russian, German and Tibetan all work then Chinese should
too.

- Sean

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
Sorry for the delay Sean.

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Hello again Brian,

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
Hi Sean,

I think I just pasted the text straight into the Roller entry screen.

It seems to me I did a post with some Russian, German and Tibetan by
simply cutting and pasting from a translation site on the web.

I have no ideal how the Chinese text was entered, I only know that
several blogs or the past few years have been in Chinese.

The only problematic one I have seen is a Norwegian site (I think it is
Norwegian anyway) where I have to select a different character set in my
browser to get proper text.  But, I think I have read somewhere that
Norwegian presents problems for Unicode.

Hope this helps.  I am on my way back out the door now, but I will try a
Chinese entry later if I can grab the time.

Brian

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Hi Brian,

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Thanks Matt, I'll do that :-)

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Hi Matt,

Thanks for letting me try your site.  Had some interesting results.
I use Apple's built-in Simplified Chinese input method ITABC, which
is what I normally use.  The glyphs I've been entering take two bytes
in UTF-8, e.g. 胖 (U+80D6).   For the most part it seems to work fine
for entering Chinese glyphs into various apps that expect Unicode
encoding of some sort.  I've used it to enter Chinese text at
LiveJournal and Google, for example.  The glyphs entered at
LiveJournal show up as UTF-8 chars in the HTML when I view the source
in Safari.

When I use the input method to enter Chinese glyphs at your Roller
site (or JRoller) the glyphs look fine as they're entered.  They
still look fine after I press Post to Weblog and show up correctly in
the Recent Entries column on the right.  The source of the page in
Safari is XHTML 1.0 Transitional with charset="utf-8" and the glyphs
show up fine, i.e. they're glyphs, not escape sequences.

Now if I click on the Entries link the new entry shows up with the
glyphs replaced by '?' chars.

I haven't tried this in any other browsers or on any other OS's -
perhaps it's a Safari issue?

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sean Montgomery <pa...@mac.com>.
Hi Bill,

Ok, so maybe I can blame JRoller ;-)

I'd still like to find a way to enter Unicode characters into the
title and body of an entry directly, though.  From looking at the
source of other Roller blog pages and RSS feeds I can see that
they're getting UTF-8 encoding glyphs in there somehow...  I'd really
rather not have to type HTML entity escapes by hand!

Unfortunately I'm a total newcomer to this, so there may be an
obvious way.

On a related note: Let's say I wanted to embed some code examples in
a blog entry or title, for example:

Enum <E extends Enum<E>>

The left & right angle brackets are HTML chars, so I'd have to escape
them.  Doing it manually is a pain.  If I want to put them in a title
then I get complaints from RSS validators...  Is there any way to
embed HTML characters in a blog title that won't generate validation
warnings?  I can live with JRoller not displaying things correctly ;-)

Thanks again,

Sean

Posted by Bill Tribley <bi...@tribley.us>.
Hi Sean,