Posted to dev@activemq.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2023/01/08 07:19:18 UTC

Starting ActiveMQ 5.18.x preparation/update

Hi guys,

I started to work on ActiveMQ 5.18.x major release preparation.

Basically, I propose to include (as major changes, in addition of all
others more "minor" changes :)):
- JMS 2.x support (mostly client and first part broker)
- Spring 6 update
- Jakarta namespace support

I should have the first PRs ready for review very soon.

I would like to propose a first 5.18.0 in Feb.

Thoughts ?
Regards
JB

Re: Starting ActiveMQ 5.18.x preparation/update

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I should add that one other approach I've seen which is somewhat
combining the approaches is at Quarkus, where they are currently (not
sure if this is intended going forward, after the 3.0 stuff actually
gets released, but is how its being developed for now) using rewrite
tooling thats part of the main (2.x) branch that is used to have
rewrite the build into the jakarta variant intended to become 3.x...so
the build updates everything to the jakarta version, and that output
can then pushed to another branch for release etc.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Chris,

yes, makes sense.

I agree with you: even it's more work, I think from user community
standpoint, it's better to have two different artifacts/modules.

I will create/update Jira to mention this.

Thanks,
Regards
JB

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Posted by Christopher Shannon <ch...@gmail.com>.
JB,

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Matt,

It sounds good to me, as soon as we move forward on 5.19.x soon after
5.18.x. Jakarta namespace could be quickly expected by users as some
frameworks already switched to it (spring boot, camel, ...), so client
libs will have to move fast.
For Spring 6, it's not very difficult, I already did it. I can keep
for 5.19.x, but it's possible to include for 5.18.x (Karaf already
supports it, so the broker in Karaf can work).

Regards
JB

Posted by Matt Pavlovich <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey JB-