Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net> on 2003/10/15 21:00:18 UTC

svn revert .?

If I want to revert all changes in just the current directory, how do I do
this?  'svn revert .' doesn't appear to do anything:

vague:~/tmp/repos> vi Todo.txt
vague:~/tmp/repos> svn st
M      Todo.txt
vague:~/tmp/repos> svn revert .
vague:~/tmp/repos> svn st
M      Todo.txt

If I specify the file explicitly, it works:

vague:~/tmp/repos> svn revert Todo.txt
Reverted Todo.txt
vague:~/tmp/repos> svn st
vague:~/tmp/repos>

Regards,
Roger.

Re: svn revert .?

Posted by Paul Gross <pa...@grosss.net>.
Roger Lipscombe wrote:

>If I want to revert all changes in just the current directory, how do I do
>this?  'svn revert .' doesn't appear to do anything:

I believe you want 'svn revert *'

Paul Gross
paul@grosss.net

Re: svn revert .?

Posted by "Michael S. Liebman" <m-...@northwestern.edu>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:00:18PM +0100, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> If I want to revert all changes in just the current directory, how do I do
> this?  'svn revert .' doesn't appear to do anything:

svn revert is intentionally not recursive by default. You need to use
'svn revert --recursive .' What 'svn revert .' accomplishes is
reverting changes to the directory itself.

Michael

--
Michael S. Liebman                      m-liebman@northwestern.edu
                  http://msl521.freeshell.org/

Re: svn revert .?

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> If I want to revert all changes in just the current directory, how do I do
> this?  'svn revert .' doesn't appear to do anything:

svn revert is nonrecursive by default, so it just reverted the directory
itself, not the files in it.  you can pass --recursive to get recursive
behavior, but because of the risk of losing data accidentally we did not
make that the default.

-garrett

Re: svn revert .?

Posted by Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>.
On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 10:28:30PM +0100, Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> > 'svn revert .' will just revert the directory itself, not any
> > files in it. You want svn 'revert . -R'
> >

> No I don't :-)
>
> I _only_ want to revert changes in the current directory, not in its
> descendants.  I guess 'svn revert *' is what I need, then.  Or maybe
> it's not.  Will this revert changes to the directories (e.g.
> properties etc.)?

The recursive/non-recursive behaviour of various Subversion commands is
likely to change at some point to a --depth=[0|1|infinite] or something
similar, because recursive/non-recursive doesn't give you enough
options.

"svn revert" uses depth 0, unless you specify --recursive, in which case
it's infinite.  There's no way to get depth 1 safely.  The closest
approximation would be "svn revert *" but you might prefer:

$ find ./ -maxdepth 1 -type f -print0 | xargs -0 svn revert

Hope that helps :)

--
Michael Wood <mw...@its.uct.ac.za>

RE: svn revert .?

Posted by Roger Lipscombe <ro...@differentpla.net>.

RE: svn revert .?

Posted by Arild Fines <ar...@broadpark.no>.
Roger Lipscombe wrote:
> If I want to revert all changes in just the current directory, how do
> I do this?  'svn revert .' doesn't appear to do anything:

'svn revert .' will just revert the directory itself, not any files in it.
You want svn 'revert . -R'

--
Arild

AnkhSVN: http://ankhsvn.tigris.org
Blog: http://ankhsvn.com/blog
RSS: http://ankhsvn.com/blog/Rss.aspx

King Crimson lives in different bodies at different times and the
particular form which the group takes changes. When music appears,
which only King Crimson can play then, sooner or later, King Crimson
appears to play the music