Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com> on 2007/07/06 11:16:47 UTC

Make sca-api.jar an OSGi bundle

Hello,

Could we convert sca-api.jar to an OSGi bundle so that bundles used by the
OSGi implementation type can import SCA annotations and interfaces? This may
be already being addressed in the other OSGi related work, but the change is
simple and will enable the support for SCA annotations in OSGi bundles to
progress.

Converting sca-api.jar to an OSGi bundle would just need the addition of a
few entries in the manifest file for the jar, and will not affect any other
modules using the jar file as a regular jar.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Re: Make sca-api.jar an OSGi bundle

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Simon,

There is some discussion on allowing OSGi bundles to refer to external jar
files in the Bundle-ClassPath. But as far I know, that is not part of the
OSGi spec yet, and Bundle-ClassPath can only refer to embedded directories
and jar files at the moment.

Thank you...

Regards,

Rajini

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@hursley.ibm.com>.

Posted by Rajini Sivaram <ra...@googlemail.com>.
Venkat,

AW: Make sca-api.jar an OSGi bundle

Posted by "Wengatz, Nicole" <ni...@siemens.com>.
Hi,

I second the proposal of adding OSGi metadata to the jars.

Some months ago we had a similar discussion on this list, there we said, that we should not generate OSGi Bundles
at build time, but generate OSGi bundles out of the JAR files on the fly. We tried this out (it's easy
for simple bundles/Jars), but for bundles that require other bundles it's difficult. We do not have enough
information for the mapping to OSGi in the scdl files (e.g. should we use required bundle, import etc. ?)
Currently we are talking only about the sca-api.jar, but the next question will be about other jars like
axis, which should be used in the OSGi container as well.

To keep it simple it would propose to generate the required bundles already at build time.

Best regards
Nicole

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for that explanation Mike.  Not knowing much of OSGi, I was
trying to be a bit conservative.  Now convinced, here is my +1 for
this inclusion.

- Venkat

Posted by Mike Edwards <mi...@gmail.com>.
Venkat,

Posted by Venkata Krishnan <fo...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.
+1 from me, it seems a useful and harmless thing to do.

   ...ant