Posted to doxia-dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org> on 2009/01/29 21:29:44 UTC

Merging with XWiki and WikiModel

Howdy,

I've been looking at reporting in Maven 3.x and I've been following
the work that Vincent Massol has been doing over at XWiki where he has
made some attempts at melding Doxia, the XWiki rendering engine, and
WikiModel. You can see the proposal here:

http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RenderingEngineConvergence

I am looking to remove the Doxia dependency from Maven 3.x so that
reporting is removed from core and just becomes another set of
components. Having Doxia coupled to Maven is not very nice so in the
next couple releases of the Maven 3.x alphas the hard dependency on
Doxia will be removed. This will open the door for anyone who wants to
add a different mechanism. Doxia reports will still work, I'm not
planning on removing the functionality just unbinding it from the
core. But that opens the door for something new!

What I personally think the best path would be is to help what Vincent
has started. There are really only three people here who work on
Doxia, the releases are very slow in coming and I think you would
immediately double or triple the size of the team merging with the
XWiki folks and getting the WikiModel developer as well. This is what
the XWiki folks do all the time and I think you would get some more
velocity in the progress of the project as a whole. Vincent is using
Plexus for his stuff so it's not that wildly different but I think you
would get more visibility over there and a higher degree of
collaboration. I think you would also get a model that is more
complete for things like blogs, wikis, and books.

Any thoughts? I've CC'd Vincent too as I'm not sure he's on this list.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

   -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: Merging with XWiki and WikiModel

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
Hi Herve,

On Mar 8, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:

> Vincent,
>
> After our discussion on IRC, I perfectly understand how we could
> benefit from
> convergence in the domain of document parsing and rendering, with the
> advantage of not only more developpers, but more users too, then
> more tests.

yep.

Regarding tests we have more than 900 unit tests overall for the XWiki
Rendering engine. This is absolutely needed because parsing/rendering
seems an easy task but it's really complex when you tackle edge cases.
We would never have been able to code a strong bi-directional wiki <--
 > XHTML conversion without these tests.

> Vincent Siveton did a great job with an Eclipse plugin that was
> integrated in
> m2eclipse, but:
> - this is only Eclipse-centric, how about other IDE's?
> - it would still need a lot of work to continue improve it (it
> actually helps
> me a lot when editing pages, no show-stopper bugs: only minor things)
>>   - our brand new GWT-based WYSIWYG editor
> Is there something in XWiki to help editing pages that are on local
> disk (and
> stored in svn)?

There's a Storage interface. Currently we have one implementation for
Hibernate and another for JCR. It's possible to add one SVN but nobody
has been working on this.
Re local disk, I guess the JCR implementation could be used for that.

> Would this GWT-based WYSIWYG editor help here? Or is it only
> web-centric?

The WYSIWYG editor is a web-based editor of course but it takes its
content from any XHTML content (which can be generated by the XWiki
Rendering from any source).

Thanks
-Vincent

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Vincent,

After our discussion on IRC, I perfectly understand how we could benefit from
convergence in the domain of document parsing and rendering, with the
advantage of not only more developpers, but more users too, then more tests.

Vincent Siveton did a great job with an Eclipse plugin that was integrated in
m2eclipse, but:
- this is only Eclipse-centric, how about other IDE's?
- it would still need a lot of work to continue improve it (it actually helps
me a lot when editing pages, no show-stopper bugs: only minor things)
>    - our brand new GWT-based WYSIWYG editor
Is there something in XWiki to help editing pages that are on local disk (and
stored in svn)? Would this GWT-based WYSIWYG editor help here? Or is it only
web-centric?

Posted by Vincent Massol <vi...@massol.net>.
Hi there,

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Vincent Siveton wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> 2009/1/29 Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've been looking at reporting in Maven 3.x and I've been following the work
>> that Vincent Massol has been doing over at XWiki where he has made some
>> attempts at melding Doxia, the XWiki rendering engine, and WikiModel. You
>> can see the proposal here:
>>
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RenderingEngineConvergence
>>
>> I am looking to remove the Doxia dependency from Maven 3.x so that reporting
>> is removed from core and just becomes another set of components. Having
>
> I definitely agree to decouple Maven from Doxia, or conversely :)
> We actually have a lot of problems due to this coupling, see MNG-3402.
>
>> Doxia coupled to Maven is not very nice so in the next couple releases of
>> the Maven 3.x alphas the hard dependency on Doxia will be removed. This will
>> open the door for anyone who wants to add a different mechanism. Doxia
>> reports will still work, I'm not planning on removing the functionality just
>> unbinding it from the core. But that opens the door for something new!
>
> Some questions to clarify what you have in mind:
> - how do you plan to integrate reporting concretely to Maven 3?
> - what about the backward compatibility in the reporting plugins?
>
>> What I personally think the best path would be is to help what Vincent has
>> started. There are really only three people here who work on Doxia, the
>> releases are very slow in coming and I think you would immediately double or
>
> Agree but we work when we have time :)
> @Dennis: what are your availabilities to release the version 1.0?

There are only two things left now:

1. Add a Clirr report to make sure we didn't break anything
2. Advertise a Doxia/Site Plugin combo SNAPSHOT version to the community
to allow testing for a little while

I hope to be able to finish that this week.

--
Dennis Lundberg

Re: Merging with XWiki and WikiModel

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I'm cross-posting this between Doxia and Maven dev lists, because this has
both interests.

Le samedi 31 janvier 2009, Jason van Zyl a écrit :
> On 30-Jan-09, at 3:04 PM, Vincent Siveton wrote:
> > Hi Jason,
> >
> > 2009/1/29 Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:
> >> Howdy,
> >>
> >> I've been looking at reporting in Maven 3.x and I've been following
> >> the work
> >> that Vincent Massol has been doing over at XWiki where he has made
> >> some
> >> attempts at melding Doxia, the XWiki rendering engine, and
> >> WikiModel. You
> >> can see the proposal here:
> >>
> >> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RenderingEngineConvergence
> >>
> >> I am looking to remove the Doxia dependency from Maven 3.x so that
> >> reporting
> >> is removed from core and just becomes another set of components.
> >> Having
> >
> > I definitely agree to decouple Maven from Doxia, or conversely :)
> > We actually have a lot of problems due to this coupling, see MNG-3402.
> >
> >> Doxia coupled to Maven is not very nice so in the next couple
> >> releases of
> >> the Maven 3.x alphas the hard dependency on Doxia will be removed.
> >> This will
> >> open the door for anyone who wants to add a different mechanism.
> >> Doxia
> >> reports will still work, I'm not planning on removing the
> >> functionality just
> >> unbinding it from the core. But that opens the door for something
> >> new!
> >
> > Some questions to clarify what you have in mind:
> > - how do you plan to integrate reporting concretely to Maven 3?
>
> As a completely separate execution environment. So the plugin manager
> in 3.x will only deal with build plugins. Then a separate plugin
> manager can be created for Doxia based reports and those will map to
> the current reporting element. Then I would like to create another
> execution environment for a more data centric report model.
the idea is interesting.
Is there something somewhere on this? How can I help?
The key plugin is maven-site-plugin: a new branch?

Regards,

Hervé

Re: Merging with XWiki and WikiModel

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 30-Jan-09, at 3:04 PM, Vincent Siveton wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> 2009/1/29 Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>:
>> Howdy,
>>
>> I've been looking at reporting in Maven 3.x and I've been following
>> the work
>> that Vincent Massol has been doing over at XWiki where he has made
>> some
>> attempts at melding Doxia, the XWiki rendering engine, and
>> WikiModel. You
>> can see the proposal here:
>>
>> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Design/RenderingEngineConvergence
>>
>> I am looking to remove the Doxia dependency from Maven 3.x so that
>> reporting
>> is removed from core and just becomes another set of components.
>> Having
>
> I definitely agree to decouple Maven from Doxia, or conversely :)
> We actually have a lot of problems due to this coupling, see MNG-3402.
>
>> Doxia coupled to Maven is not very nice so in the next couple
>> releases of
>> the Maven 3.x alphas the hard dependency on Doxia will be removed.
>> This will
>> open the door for anyone who wants to add a different mechanism.
>> Doxia
>> reports will still work, I'm not planning on removing the
>> functionality just
>> unbinding it from the core. But that opens the door for something
>> new!
>
> Some questions to clarify what you have in mind:
> - how do you plan to integrate reporting concretely to Maven 3?

As a completely separate execution environment. So the plugin manager
in 3.x will only deal with build plugins. Then a separate plugin
manager can be created for Doxia based reports and those will map to
the current reporting element. Then I would like to create another
execution environment for a more data centric report model.

> - what about the backward compatibility in the reporting plugins?

I will make the basic support to start but my interest lies in a data
centric model for reporting. The more document centric approach I
think has progressed further in XWiki and WikiModel. I would
personally like to feed the data collected into something simple for
producing reports.

>> What I personally think the best path would be is to help what
>> Vincent has
>> started. There are really only three people here who work on Doxia,
>> the
>> releases are very slow in coming and I think you would immediately
>> double or
>
> Agree but we work when we have time :)

Sure, but I think you would benefit by having a team that is focused
on this full-time. I don't see any downside as then your additional
part-time efforts help something that the XWiki folks are working on
all the time.

> @Dennis: what are your availabilities to release the version 1.0?
> After this release, 1.1 could be out, IMHO all stuffs are there.
>
>> triple the size of the team merging with the XWiki folks and
>> getting the
>> WikiModel developer as well. This is what the XWiki folks do all
>> the time
>> and I think you would get some more velocity in the progress of the
>> project
>> as a whole. Vincent is using Plexus for his stuff so it's not that
>> wildly
>> different but I think you would get more visibility over there and
>> a higher
>
> The xwiki proposal seems to move the Doxia code to the xwiki umbrella,
> so do you plan to do it?

I don't work on Doxia so I'm not going to do anything. I'm going to
focus on data production and once I do that I'll figure out how I'm
going to produce reports. I think there are good things in Doxia,
XWiki, and WikiModel so a hybrid of the three systems is probably the
best path forward.

> @Vincent, could you clarify why a fork is not possible for you?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vincent
>
>> degree of collaboration. I think you would also get a model that is
>> more
>> complete for things like blogs, wikis, and books.
>>
>> Any thoughts? I've CC'd Vincent too as I'm not sure he's on this
>> list.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com
>>
>> People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
>> Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
>> actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
>> is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
>> looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more
>> examples
>> you look at, the more general your framework will be.
>>
>> -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
goals are in doubt.

   -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Re: Merging with XWiki and WikiModel

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jason,