Posted to dev@brooklyn.apache.org by David Carr <DC...@commercehub.com> on 2015/06/11 16:22:41 UTC

update an application by blueprint

After adding an application in Brooklyn (say, by a YAML blueprint), is
there a way to update the application from an updated blueprint without
destroying it and starting over?

David M. Carr
Software Architect
CommerceHub

255 Fuller Road Suite 327
Albany, NY 12203
Phone 518.810.0700 x3832
http://www.commercehub.com

Re: update an application by blueprint

Posted by David Carr <DC...@commercehub.com>.
Makes sense to me.  I agree, this is a very tricky space.  I just wanted
to make sure there wasn¹t some existing approach to this that I was just
overlooking.

David M. Carr
Software Architect
CommerceHub

255 Fuller Road Suite 327
Albany, NY 12203
Phone 518.810.0700 x3832
http://www.commercehub.com

Posted by Alex Heneveld <al...@cloudsoftcorp.com>.
Hi David-

You can change an existing deployment either through effectors (e.g.
resize) or "Add Child" in the Advanced Tab -- but there is not support
for a chef-live "converge" operation to make the deployment look as if
it came from another blueprint.

I hope this helps.  If you've got thoughts on how this should be done
please share them.  In the general case this is a Very Hard Problem --
imagine migrating from MySQL to Riak, or having software run as a
different user -- but I think there is scope for investigating this in
some cases, maybe proposing the list of operations which will effect the
changes and running them.

Best
Alex

On 11/06/2015 15:22, David Carr wrote:
> After adding an application in Brooklyn (say, by a YAML blueprint), is
> there a way to update the application from an updated blueprint without
> destroying it and starting over?
>
> David M. Carr
> Software Architect
> CommerceHub