Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alison Cooke <am...@me.com> on 2014/02/24 18:54:11 UTC

compatibility between PC and mac

Hi

I wonder if you can help.
I am frequently required to complete a form made on Microsoft Excel which I fill in on my Macbook, send back as Excel to my employer on her PC.  she needs to be able to edit it.  She says when she comes to print it, it never does what it should and please could I buy Microsoft office for Mac?  I am loath to do this as it is a charity and it seems like a huge expense and I hoped there might be a way around it!
I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes,
Alison Cooke

Alison Cooke

11 Harpes Road
Oxford   OX2 7QJ
Tel: 01865 579255
Mob: 07929 388137
Website: www.alisonsmusic.co.uk

Re: compatibility between PC and mac

Posted by Rochelle <rh...@gmail.com>.
Alison, Which MS Excel format do you save your doc in before emailing back
to your employer?

If you are saving in .xlsx  (Microsoft Excel 07/2010XML, try sending in
.xls format (Microsoft 97/2000/XP2003)

I am a current mac user coverting from linux and have been OO user for over
10 years. As a linux user I found using .xlsx formats would cause
formatting issues. I had less issues when using xls.

Rochelle

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 17:54:11 +0000
Alison Cooke <am...@me.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I wonder if you can help.
> I am frequently required to complete a form made on Microsoft Excel which I fill in on my Macbook, send back as Excel to my employer on her PC.  she needs to be able to edit it.  She says when she comes to print it, it never does what it should and please could I buy Microsoft office for Mac?  I am loath to do this as it is a charity and it seems like a huge expense and I hoped there might be a way around it!
> I look forward to hearing from you.

The easy way is to persuade your employer to use OpenOffice. Point out that it is free!

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>